Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jtberez
Indiana, PA

Jtberez on Jun 19, 2009June 19th, 2009, 1:52 pm EDT
Today I underwent surgery on my labrum(shoulder) and will be not casting loops for quite some time. I've decided on using the down time to locate some new wild repro streams and am having trouble finding a map of the area(s) I have in mind. I'm a college student paying loans and all of my spare spending money, yes, even the measly 20 dollars it takes to buy a gazetteer or other quality maps, is being saved for a new 7wt for steel and salmon, every penny counts! Do any of you know of any sites with more detailed maps than the pfbc provides that are free?
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jun 19, 2009June 19th, 2009, 5:14 pm EDT
Google Earth
start with the pafb, then google earth it.
before we go to a new stream, i google earth it to figure out how to get there and where it flows. zoom in and out, and it's like flying over the terrain. you can turn on and off the roads/map/satellite function to show just what you want and not what you don't. it's not exactly like having topographical maps, but it's sure informative--to a point. none of the images are especially up-to-date, and in some places the resolution is pretty poor, keeping you further away than you might like. but it sure is fun!

"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Gentleshep
Shamokin

Gentleshep on Jul 9, 2009July 9th, 2009, 2:17 pm EDT
I use this site for some nice maps: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=40.53409,-76.89829&z=15&t=R

I will also try to dig up a list of reproduction streams that I have and post that also. Hope you are feeling better.
Gentleshep
Shamokin

Gentleshep on Jul 9, 2009July 9th, 2009, 2:20 pm EDT
Found the reproduction list as of May 15, 2009

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/trout_repro.pdf

This should help you out even more. The GPS coordinates don't seem to be correct though.

Quick Reply