Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 20, 2010May 20th, 2010, 5:04 pm EDT
Motrout, if BWOs are what you are seeing, man, fish BWO imitations. I have honestly never run across them, at least not that I couldn't imitate with whatever I had on hand. I've never fished a Trico hatch either, or many of the other hatches so many have described on this site. On the two streams for which I have the most trout fly fishing experience - the Rifle and the Maple in northern lower MI - the big hatches are Light Hendricksons (probably still going on right now), Light Cahills, Hexagenia (not found in the Rifle), and various caddisflies. And, grasshoppers during the summer in the tributaries and areas near grassy banks. When there are no hatches, it's time to get out the Royal patterns - Coachman, Wulff, Parachute, etc.

Fish what you see and what works best for you and what you have the most confidence in. And yes, I am rather on the opinionated side, but I try to relate only my opinions and what I can say from my own experiences and not tell anyone else what they should do, only what I would do given the circumstances. And, what works for me in the waters I fish. As I like to say, your results may differ...

Go say HI to Crane creek for me and hassle a few of those McClouds. Did I tell you I caught the largest hornyhead chub of my life in there as well? He went for the nymph - yes, I actually used one, sight fishing so I saw him take it - when the rainbows turned up their noses at it...And he put up a pretty darned good fight for a chub! Big male with a red spot behind his eye and turbercules all over his forehead...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on May 21, 2010May 21st, 2010, 2:05 am EDT
I will definitely get over to Crane whenever I can. I love that creek.

Unrelated to the topic, but speaking of Crane Creek, they tried to dam it up last year to supply water to Springfield... I heard folks talking about, contacted TU, and they were able to stop it before the plans got off the ground. Amazing that folks would be willing to drown such a special little creek with such a rare strain of trout.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 22, 2010May 22nd, 2010, 5:33 pm EDT
I thought SPRINGFGIELD was getting all of its water from the local SPRINGS which give the town it's name...Keep their grubby hands offa Crane Creek!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on May 23, 2010May 23rd, 2010, 11:43 am EDT
"Keep their grubby hands offa Crane Creek!"

No kidding! I'm just glad it got stopped. Thank goodness for TU.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply