Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 4, 2010March 4th, 2010, 6:34 pm EST
I ran across this video yesterday while looking at some FF blogs. The video and audio is superb. It's about mousing for big trout. It looks like it might be on the South island of NZ.

http://www.midcurrent.com/video/clips/bluemoon.aspx
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Ericd
Mpls, MN

Ericd on Mar 5, 2010March 5th, 2010, 4:29 am EST
I watched that a few weeks ago. Another book reference: Reminds me of The Snowfly, also by Joseph Heywood.
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Mar 5, 2010March 5th, 2010, 5:02 am EST
Hey Matt,
Got any more goodies for us?
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 5, 2010March 5th, 2010, 5:51 am EST
Matt,

Great video...But what an interesting vise! I have never seen one like that.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Mar 5, 2010March 5th, 2010, 7:22 am EST
Sweet, Matt. I've tied up some mouse flies that have been killers on largemouth bass (my bleeding mouse bringing me my biggest bass ever), and I've heard of people night-fishing with them for big trout, but I've never actually seen it done before. Pretty exhilarating. Thanks for sharing.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 5, 2010March 5th, 2010, 9:32 am EST
If I find any other over the top quality videos I'll pass them along.
It was awesome to watch the cast, as he did cover the fish nicely, then see that big mouse floating alonf and all of a sudden that big mouth sucked it in! It shocked me and I let out a yell from the sheer surprise.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Patcrisci
Lagrangeville, NY

Patcrisci on Mar 13, 2010March 13th, 2010, 10:59 am EST
SWEET!
Pat Crisci
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 14, 2010March 14th, 2010, 3:27 pm EDT
Matt,

We had our Fly Fishing Expo this last weekend. Joe Humpreys was there and one of his seminars I sat thru was on Brook Trout. He had film of him fishing in Labrador for monster Brooks and he was using a lemming fly. It was awesome!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply