Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

CaseyP has attached these 5 pictures. The message is below.
Turned out to be a very nice brown, caught in sight of the scene below.
Bolton Abbey was destroyed by King Henry VIII.  The graveyard is still active, as is a rebuilt section of the church behind this part.
After matching the hatch all day in Burnsall with little result, i tried a big CDC ant with white legs and this fellow slammed it.  the picture is blurry because i hold my breath when i lift the fish out of the water to make sure it goes back in pretty quick.  this fish confirmed once again my opinion that the pool next the parking lot is always worth a try, since everyone else knows it's far too pressured.
The grayling--looks rather like a chub, right? the famous blue fin is all folded up along the back.
Yorkshire Dales scenery...there are no trees on the hill tops because Neolithic man cut them all down, and the resulting exposed slopes and thin soil mean that trees can't grow up there now.  Those areas are called moors, and they're mostly covered in bracken and heather.
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Sep 27, 2009September 27th, 2009, 12:22 pm EDT
having trouble with the photo function over on the Fishing Reports forum. thank you for your patience with a boastful angler.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Sep 27, 2009September 27th, 2009, 3:39 pm EDT
Thanks Casey for the great photos. Looks like wonderful country and some very nice fish.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 27, 2009September 27th, 2009, 5:20 pm EDT
Gorgeous photos. Thanks for letting us join you a for a bit on this trip.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply