Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Dec 21, 2010December 21st, 2010, 1:14 am EST
Just wondering, anyone here fish wet flies in the traditional manner--winged wets, flymphs, soft hackles? I've tied some classic wets. They're not Don Bastian or Ray Bergman good, but there getting better.
Bruce
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Dec 21, 2010December 21st, 2010, 2:35 am EST
Hi Bruce
I know Casey P is wet fly person. I have a few.
Caddis and winged flies.

JaD

Soft Hackles

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Dec 21, 2010December 21st, 2010, 3:05 am EST
Now, Bruce,
You know I'm here, too. John has got a great selection, there, and you know we are both wet fly enthusiasts. I would like to see your flies. I'm sure they're coming along fine.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Dec 21, 2010December 21st, 2010, 4:07 am EST
i tied a dozen march brown wets last night. in my experience and opinion, there is nothing more successful than a traditional down and across approach during the MB hatch. now the MB spinnerfall is another story...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Dec 21, 2010December 21st, 2010, 5:47 am EST
Sorry, Mark. That was dumb. You and I have exchanged thoughts on wet flies many times. How could I forget?

JAD, those are really nice ties.

Gutcutter: I second that because I have firsthand knowledge. MB wets are a blast up north. If we don't get there at the right time let's make a promise to go back up when they're coming out of the water.

Mark: I'll try and post 1 or 2 classics tonight. They're the first ones I've tried. I have to send the pixes to Gutcutter and he posts them. I can't figure out how to do it myself.

Bruce
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Dec 21, 2010December 21st, 2010, 12:53 pm EST
sorry to be late to the party! yes, Mark was very a generous teacher when i wanted to get into Yorkshire style spiders and wet flies. they really do deliver, even those funny old-fashioned ones with bright white wings. but honestly, a soft-hackled March Brown is one of my absolute favorites because they are so dependable!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Dec 22, 2010December 22nd, 2010, 4:44 am EST
My dry fly buddies are on me all the time , I truly enjoy the wet take more than on top, as a dry. If the fish are taking you will find a Flymph on my tippet.

Best
John

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 23, 2010December 23rd, 2010, 12:53 am EST
John's trying to convert me, and I must admit I fished wets more last season than any previous year--but I'll still make fun of him if I can catch a fish on top.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Softhackle
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Dec 23, 2010December 23rd, 2010, 5:17 am EST
Ah,Louis,
You remind me of a friend of mine who fishes exclusively with dry flies, however, you must remember, wets can easily be fished in or just below the surface film, very much like dry flies, and can be just as successful in taking fish. Stewart fished his "spiders", upstream, pretty close to dry fly fashion, and this is how the idea of fishing upstream first originated. Halford copied the idea and made it the "rule" for dry fly fishing.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 23, 2010December 23rd, 2010, 9:54 am EST
Very pretty flies, you have great skill. Someday I would like to catch a trout on a wet fly.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Dec 23, 2010December 23rd, 2010, 9:56 am EST
I love fishing wet flies down and across in the traditional manner. It's how I first learned to fly fish, and I often turn to that when nothing else is working. It may not be the most sophisticated method of fishing, but I don't care. It's a lot of fun.

And there is nothing prettier than a well tied traditional wet fly.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Dec 23, 2010December 23rd, 2010, 2:22 pm EST
Fishing wets is often misunderstood (It may not be the most sophisticated method of fishing, but I don't care. It's a lot of fun.)Quote. Working wet flies is a hands on manipulation of your target flies. Depending how the fly hatches or how the fish are working the bug is the adventure too me, when the fish are not working and the stream appears dead, I work the wets because it"s more exciting than nymphing.I think you will catch more fish on nymphs but not as exciting.(To me) If I was a Streamer guy like Wbranch I would throw streamers.

Best
John

Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 23, 2010December 23rd, 2010, 5:13 pm EST
A 24" brown on a #18 dry fly in July 2010 -

I'm a dry fly guy 95% of the time and a streamer guy the other 5%.

A very nice streamer fish - the grip and reelseat is 11" long.

Softhackle
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Dec 24, 2010December 24th, 2010, 1:00 am EST
Re-quote from my signature:

"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt.

Mr. Hewitt was considered one of the best dry fly fishers, ever. The thing with wet flies, as John has touched upon, is they are very versatile and this is especially true of wingless wet flies. These flies will work when other fly types do not.

Mark

JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Dec 24, 2010December 24th, 2010, 2:21 am EST
Great fish Matt
You have good skills and fish on a superb fishery, the only thing wrong with that picture I'm not holding the fish.

Again nice fish

John

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 24, 2010December 24th, 2010, 3:21 am EST
Matt,

That's a couple of wonderful looking trout you have there!

I'm a dry fly guy 95% of the time and a streamer guy the other 5%.

Matt, that's pretty much the same for me, but that persistant Mark L has me tying up old classic softhackles and this last season I caught a few fish with them...I think that they cover the emergers really well and I'm pretty much fishing them as dries anyway.

Over the last few seasons my system has gone through a bit of a shock. My fishing mentor is known here in Michigan as maybe the best dry fly fisherman & tier in this state and for sure from those around the Au Sable that know him.

Several years back he looked at me, as we were sitting waiting for the hatch to begin, and said, "Spence. Have you ever noticed just how much we are just waiting around?!" He then set off on schooling himself in nymph fishing and basically freaked out everyone that knew him.

Yesterday, Mark pay attention here, he called to check in and wish us a Merry Christmas etc and quoted Oliver Edwards as he was about to hang up...Something about every angler eventually coming around to the idea that upstream wet fly fishing is the way to go...

Anyway! That's a nice brace of fish there...

Happy Christmas Eve everyone! "What you want for Christmas, Bobby?" "I want to fish with Matt!" :)

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Dec 24, 2010December 24th, 2010, 4:08 am EST
"Fishing wets is often misunderstood (It may not be the most sophisticated method of fishing, but I don't care. It's a lot of fun.)Quote. Working wet flies is a hands on manipulation of your target flies." (Quote)

I didn't mean to insult the method... Maybe I would have been better off saying wet fly fishing isn't sophisticated in my hands. For me it's always been more of a simple, easygoing method of fishing, (and a fun one at that) but that's not at all to say it can't be a sophisticated art in the right hands.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 24, 2010December 24th, 2010, 5:36 am EST
Hi JAD,

"the only thing wrong with that picture I'm not holding the fish."

I might not be able to get you to hold one like those two but your more than welcome to join me in May or June on those rivers. We could float one day and wade fish a day or float, and wade, two days. PM me in mid April.

Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Dec 25, 2010December 25th, 2010, 3:57 am EST
OK. Now who is going to volunteer to teach me how to fish wet flies properly? I'm not a beginner and I will check all pasture fence wires to determine if they are live. I have real subtle technique, I grab them. Don't laugh it works.
Bruce
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Dec 26, 2010December 26th, 2010, 4:17 am EST
I'M not asking you again. I have ask you to fish with Louis and my self more than a couple times. I think you don"t like louis,It can"t be me I'm sweet, charming, love able and always thoughtful of my fellow fishing buddies feelings.

Bruce -Happy Holidays.

Quick Reply