Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

GoofusBug
GoofusBug on Jan 6, 2009January 6th, 2009, 2:39 pm EST
So I am reading an old 1950s era fishing book by Maynard Reece. Great illustrations.

In the flies section, Maynard gives equal time to dries, wets, nymphs, streamers and terrestrials.

These days I seem to hear of fishermen using everything but the wet flies. The classic silver doctor or mormon girl patterns have gone by the wayside. About the only "wet flies" I hear being used are soft hackles.

Any wet fly afishyanados out there?
Wetfly1
Johnstown, Pa

Wetfly1 on Jan 7, 2009January 7th, 2009, 2:41 am EST
Yea, there is a lot of articles being written about the soft hackles and they have become very popular all over. And they are great fish takers and not to mention easy to tie. I have been fishing just nothing but wet flies for the last 20yrs and my patterns are a cross between a traditional wet and a soft hackle wet. What I've done is taken older wet fly patterns and some that I have created myself and tweaked them to my tying style and produced some pretty good results on the stream. But I still carry a few soft hackles with me. If your interested in checking out some different wet flies go to my website they might give you a few new ideas.
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jan 7, 2009January 7th, 2009, 2:36 pm EST
Hi,
I fish a lot of wets, too. Wingless wets are my bread and butter. The reason? Because they are so versatile. You can fish them upstream. downstream in the surface or just below. You can fish them from bottom to top.

Here is an article I did for another site, but it's a good one to get started on.

Best of luck in your endeavors with the wet flies. If I can help in any way, let me know.

Mark

Wet Flies Revisited

PS-Maynard Reece is also a great artist. He has one the National Duck Stamp Contest a number of times.
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html

Quick Reply