Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on May 2, 2009May 2nd, 2009, 6:40 am EDT
I just saw a "hatch" of termites, and many were "riding" on the stream after they got trapped there.

These come out in incredibly large numbers and look alot like a stonefly with a black body and clear, silvery wings that usually wind up stuck out to the sides by the surface tension of the water.

Here is a pattern from Australia:

http://www.gvffc.com/Information/Fly%20Patterns/fly%2028%20termite.htm
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 2, 2009May 2nd, 2009, 12:58 pm EDT
Very cool. Do they look a lot like flying ants? Maybe some of the flying ant hatches we all love so much have actually been termites... or is this really rare?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on May 2, 2009May 2nd, 2009, 3:18 pm EDT
I could be wrong but I thought termites only swarmed in the spring. This is coming from a pest control guy that was treating my neighbors house... so the scientific background may not be there.
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on May 3, 2009May 3rd, 2009, 6:40 am EDT
It's mostly a springtime thing for the termites in my experience. I checked an old entomology textbook to confirm this, but it only said "certain times of year," which isn't all that helpful.

The numbers with the termites can be pretty amazing and usually exceed what I've seen with ants. In contrast to termites, the ants have pinched waists, forewings that are longer than the hindwings and elbowed antennae.

My guess is that termites are a bigger event in some areas than the ants.

Quick Reply