Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Oct 6, 2007October 6th, 2007, 2:34 am EDT
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=dw-aldsbugs100507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Steinbrenner's millions derailed by Mother Nature's millions. David defeating Goliath, good triumphing over evil - it warms the soul.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Gene
Gene on Oct 6, 2007October 6th, 2007, 4:14 am EDT
Yea and I'm a yankee fan. When I saw that happen....you know you aren't going to win because the gods are against you.

They didn't look like midges too me...they looked like flying ants or something similar. And spraying Off doesn't help. A good cigar would have but I don't think you are allowed to pitch with a cigar in your mouth.

They usually don't like smoke!

life sucks and then the flying ants coming out

gene
www.eugenemacri.com
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Oct 6, 2007October 6th, 2007, 4:30 am EDT
My question now is how will last nights events be reflected in the infamous "Jaba Rules".

Yet another example of why hockey players are tougher than baseball players.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Oct 6, 2007October 6th, 2007, 4:54 am EDT
Funny you should mention the cigar, Gene - I don't smoke, but I've always liked to puff one just enough to keep it lit when it's really buggy. I didn't think they were midges either (they called them Canadian soldiers last night during the game - a bit of additional cruel irony for America's Team that our neighbors Up North probably enjoyed). I guess we probably shouldn't place a lot of confidence in ESPN's entomological IDs. Regardless, as a long-time Dodgers fan, it sure was fun to watch it happen to the Yanks. I couldn't help feeling a just a little pity for the big boy, though - it made my neck itchy just watching him out there.

And John, don't get me started. I love baseball, but if I have to hear one more announcer tell me with the blind adoration of a teenage girl how tough Jeter is for bumping his chin on a seat... Let's just say that collisions worse than that one happen about 100 times in every single NHL game. I think the toughness of baseball players is closer to the toughness of golfers than hockey players.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Gene
Gene on Oct 6, 2007October 6th, 2007, 9:06 am EDT
Hockey players are tougher than killer ninjas. They probably are the best overall atheletes in the world. Too bad that idiot commissioner has destroyed the league and they have been relegated to the Versus network which has about the viewership of a dead midget contest.

tight lines and Sidney Crosby and the Pens!

gene

www.limestoner.com
Lam
Lancaster, PA

Lam on Oct 6, 2007October 6th, 2007, 12:48 pm EDT
Don't knock dead midget contests, next to fly fishing, they are my passion.
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Oct 6, 2007October 6th, 2007, 4:21 pm EDT
Works for me... I'd root for the Manson Family team featuring the late Jeffrey Dahmer on the mound against the Yankees...:)

Go Tribe!

Gene
Gene on Oct 6, 2007October 6th, 2007, 6:28 pm EDT
So there are other midget supporters out there! I could tell a lot midget jokes but......they would probably be banned..How about a soft one.

Did you hear about the 100 pound midget who had 50 pound balls!

All the girls said he was half NUTS!

gene
www.eugenemacri.com

tight lines and flying midgets
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Oct 7, 2007October 7th, 2007, 1:44 pm EDT
Good one, Gene!!

Jonathon (still laughing...)
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply