Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

DayTripper has attached these 3 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
DayTripper
DayTripper's profile picture
Northern MI

DayTripper on Jan 13, 2014January 13th, 2014, 2:11 pm EST
We had a warm up over the weekend here in northern Michigan so I got out of the house and fished a local stream. Stumbled across this caddis adult and was wondering if anyone had any clue as to what it might be. Body length from head to the rear wingtip is 11mm. It was the only one I saw, walking around on the snow right at the water's edge. Any ideas? Thanks!
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jan 13, 2014January 13th, 2014, 3:26 pm EST
Alex-

My guess would be Frenesia missa, but Dave will know for sure.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
DayTripper
Northern MI

DayTripper on Jan 13, 2014January 13th, 2014, 4:23 pm EST
Gracias!
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Jan 13, 2014January 13th, 2014, 5:23 pm EST
Yup - nice pics - I think it is Frenesia - pretty dark and a little small. You cannot determine species without looking at its private parts At that size and location I was hoping for something like Chilostigma - so far found during winter in a few very small spring habitats exposed in winter because they are warm enough to melt the snow above. Chilostigma should be also wandering on the snow around the spring opening. Not much else known about them and who knows what you might find really unusual in the winter because no one really collects then. Did you keep it?
DayTripper
Northern MI

DayTripper on Jan 13, 2014January 13th, 2014, 5:55 pm EST
Yeah, it died last night, but I've still got it sitting on my fly tying bench under a vial.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 13, 2014January 13th, 2014, 6:26 pm EST
Good call Roger, and great response Dave!

Yes, and nice images DT.

Very cool.
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Jan 13, 2014January 13th, 2014, 8:14 pm EST
If ya send it to me I will put a species on it. It's a female but I should be able to separate them cuz it looks in good condition. We will see how good Roger did with his key by geography :-) He is probably right on this one because there are alot of reported records for this genus and, so far, missa is the only one reported this far west. I will send address by PM. If it is dry, just put in tissue and into small vial. Then in something to mail so vial does not get crushed. Parts may come off a dry specimen but should still be able to identify.
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jan 14, 2014January 14th, 2014, 4:15 am EST
Cool to see some bugs! Interesting caddis for sure.
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jan 14, 2014January 14th, 2014, 4:32 am EST
That makes me eager for the good bugs to come. It won't be long.
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Jan 22, 2014January 22nd, 2014, 6:17 pm EST
Daytripper - your critter arrived in fine shape and is a female Frenesia missa. Roger rules!
creno
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jan 22, 2014January 22nd, 2014, 7:46 pm EST
Dave-

That's kind of you to say, but "you da man".

Incidentally, apart from my belief that Frenesia difficilis has yet to be identified in MI, my belief was also that the reported length (11 mm.) was too short for F. difficilis, and just right for F. missa.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
DayTripper
Northern MI

DayTripper on Jan 23, 2014January 23rd, 2014, 3:29 am EST
I love this place, thanks to all for your help identifying this one. As far as northern MI fly fishing hatch charts are concerned, this bug doesn't exist. Kind of cool to know these are possibly out there in the winter.
PaulRoberts
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 23, 2014January 23rd, 2014, 4:01 pm EST
WTG Roger, and Dave.

DT, as far as the trout are concerned, it may not exist either, due to time of year, habitat, and habits. But ... there may be places and times. Look up Frenesia and see what is said about them. It can pay to know what to be looking for.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jan 23, 2014January 23rd, 2014, 4:44 pm EST
Hi Alex-

Caddisflies by Gary LaFontaine has a comprehensive writeup on genus Frenesia, in which Gary indicates "they survive into the winter and are commonly seen on snowdrifts even in January."
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
DayTripper
Northern MI

DayTripper on Jan 24, 2014January 24th, 2014, 4:14 am EST
WTG Roger, and Dave.

DT, as far as the trout are concerned, it may not exist either, due to time of year, habitat, and habits. But ... there may be places and times. Look up Frenesia and see what is said about them. It can pay to know what to be looking for.

True, but there is always hope...

I'll have to pull Caddisflies back off the shelf.
PaulRoberts
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 24, 2014January 24th, 2014, 11:51 am EST
Yes!

"Hope springs eternal" or maybe "Hope brings eternal spring?" :)

Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Jan 26, 2014January 26th, 2014, 6:22 am EST
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
-Rogers Hornsby

I think this puts it into perspective for flyfishermen as well as ball players...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jan 26, 2014January 26th, 2014, 10:46 am EST
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
-Rogers Hornsby

I think this puts it into perspective for flyfishermen as well as ball players...

Antonio, I agree with Rogers, but I couldn't wait for Spring. I fished Bobs Creek today for about 90 minutes in a blizzard and 13 degrees. I need to catch a trout for January and time is running out. Well, the creek was nearly frozen shut except for a small trough down the middle. My entire leader turned into an ice rope and I couldn't tell if I had a take or not. I guess I don't really need to tell you I caught no fish. It was a pretty scene though.

Quick Reply