Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Nov 11, 2008November 11th, 2008, 10:56 am EST
Well fellow forum members, The stock market fell again today I'm really starting to feel the pinch. I'm starting to gather money up for next spring so I can pay my lot rent for my fishing trailer for the summer months. I have decided to sell off my fishing partner.
I decided to auction off Uncle Johns nephew Newt You fellows know him as L Martin. Now there is a reserve on Louis it's high but a good malt might do the trick. Old newt has a lot of strong points, he like a pointer on rising fish he holds tight with out a waver. You won't have to buy any flies he a excellent tier. Above all he keeps a secret like a prisoner of war. On the bad side he snores and tells rather bad jokes.
I figured I would start the bidding right after Christmas because that's the next time were supposed to fish together .

All bids will be closed bids.
Just send me a PM

John Dunn
Aka- JaD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Nov 11, 2008November 11th, 2008, 11:41 am EST
John-

Send you a PM? That wouldn't be any fun! I bid an amount equivalent to the proceeds from sale of 100 shares of Washington Mutual common stock at today's value.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Nov 11, 2008November 11th, 2008, 12:30 pm EST
I've got 103 Shares of FRE to keep in the spirit of the stock theme.
NO but seriously, any takers........ I'll trade them for just about anything 1/2 doz comparaduns, old fly line, pet rock.
Jeff
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 11, 2008November 11th, 2008, 7:06 pm EST
Well, I don't have any money to bid. I do have some gum. Some of it hasn't been chewed. Would you accept the rest of it?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Nov 12, 2008November 12th, 2008, 2:26 am EST
I'll bid one (1) 6' 3" Berkeley Parametric fiberglass fly rod (6 wgt.), originally purchased in 1968. Since we switched from a canister vacuum to an upright, I no longer need the rod butt to unclog the hose. So, I might as well put it to use otherwise..
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Nov 12, 2008November 12th, 2008, 4:07 am EST
Now there is a reserve on Louis it's high but a good malt might do the trick.

I think I’ll hang onto my Jack. You might want to consider dropping the reserve. In these trying times Louis may prove to be worthless. However, once Obama turns this diving economy around Louis might regain some value, but don’t hold your breath.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Nov 12, 2008November 12th, 2008, 6:36 am EST
your best bet may be to re-organize yourself as a bank holding Co and sell Louis to the the US Treasury under the TARP program
I am haunted by waters
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Nov 12, 2008November 12th, 2008, 7:02 am EST
your best bet may be to re-organize yourself as a bank holding Co and sell Louis to the the US Treasury under the TARP program

Whaaat! The tax payers would surely revolt.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 12, 2008November 12th, 2008, 8:13 am EST
Hmm. Can I bid on myself? So this is what happens when I get busy and don't monitor this site more closely. Let me just warn you all, never buy a pig in a poke!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 12, 2008November 12th, 2008, 10:21 am EST
So this is what happens when I get busy and don't monitor this site more closely.

Let that be a lesson to you! ;)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply