Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Oct 22, 2008October 22nd, 2008, 3:35 pm EDT
Hi all,
It has always been my belief that the hooks we tie on greatly affect our flies. Here's an example of a very old pattern tied on a newer hook that I really like. Of course the fly is a wingless wet and one of my favorites.

The original Tups was a dry fly first before Skues developed it into a nymph. Much has been speculated about the appearance of the dubbing, not in contents, but basic appearance. I think this one is pretty close.

Any thoughts on tying old patterns on new hooks?

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Oct 23, 2008October 23rd, 2008, 9:24 am EDT
great fly, looks like it would make a good sulpher. Is that ice dub or did you blend it yourself. I also have been eyeing those hooks, up until now I haven't seen anything tied on them, I may have to pull the trigger and get some.
jeff
Softhackle
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Oct 23, 2008October 23rd, 2008, 9:29 am EDT
Hi Jeff,
The dubbing is a mix of half red seal, half yellow seal, then about 1/3 as much tan hare's mask. The mix should look like it does in the photo-a kind of pale orangy pink from a distance.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Oct 23, 2008October 23rd, 2008, 1:08 pm EDT
what a gorgeous hook--no barb squishing! what is it?
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Softhackle
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Oct 23, 2008October 23rd, 2008, 3:42 pm EDT
Hi Casey,
Grip #14723BL # 12. These hooks are beautiful, but sold mostly in Europe. They are made in S. Africa. They have other models. I know of only one dealer in the US at present, and they are not even on the shelves, yet. I got mine from the distributor to test them out. If you are interested in ordering some, let me know via PM and I'll put you in touch with the dealer.

Mark

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 24, 2008October 24th, 2008, 1:06 am EDT
I've been using some of the new barbless Tiemco SP, Gamakatsu, Partridge, and Knapek hooks and love them. I've lost fewer fish, and they are so easy to remove.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply