Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Bep
smithwick

Bep on Sep 16, 2008September 16th, 2008, 4:01 am EDT
i fished this past week on the st.marys river for atlantic salmon, chinook salmon & pink salmon with riversnorth guide service. we landed all three species of salmon within hours of each other! the leaper lived up to his name! must have been my lucky day! riversnorth is a first class operation & i recommend them to anyone wanting to fish michigan's u.p.! visit http://www.riversnorth.net to see what brad offers in the u.p.-check out the videos on the site.. neat! i had lots of fun & couldn't imagine having a bad time!
Freepow
menomonie, WI

Freepow on Sep 16, 2008September 16th, 2008, 5:12 am EDT
Their website says they are out of Marquette...did you have to go to Marquette or did you meet them at Sault St. Marie? If you met them in Marquette, how long was the boat ride? I'm originally from that area and would love to go after Salmon on one of my many trips back to the glorious U.P. Great recommendation Bep...thanks for the link too!
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
Bep
smithwick

Bep on Sep 16, 2008September 16th, 2008, 10:27 am EDT
i met them over in the soo.. they bounce back & forth from the soo to maquette area..soo for ataltnics, chinook & pinkies-marquette area for brook trout . that would be a heck of a boat ride from marquette!
UPTroutBum
Marquette, MI

UPTroutBum on Oct 14, 2008October 14th, 2008, 9:19 am EDT
I've seen Brad on various rivers around here, never got to talk with him much, actually didn't know he was a guide until recently. Someday I'll do a half day with him just to see some new water around here.
" The true fisherman approaches the first day of fishing season with
all the sense of wonder and awe of a child approaching Christmas." John Voelker

Quick Reply