Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Grammotaulius betteni (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This is a striking caddis larva with an interesting color pattern on the head. Here are some characteristics I was able to see under the microscope, but could not easily expose for a picture:
- The prosternal horn is present.
- The mandible is clearly toothed, not formed into a uniform scraper blade.
- The seems to be only 2 major setae on the ventral edge of the hind femur.
- Chloride epithelia seem to be absent from the dorsal side of any abdominal segments.
Based on these characteristics and the ones more easily visible from the pictures, this seems to be Grammotaulius. The key's description of the case is spot-on: "Case cylindrical, made of longitudinally arranged sedge or similar leaves," as is the description of the markings on the head, "Dorsum of head light brownish yellow with numerous discrete, small, dark spots." The spot pattern on the head is a very good match to figure 19.312 of Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019). The species ID is based on Grammotaulius betteni being the only species of this genus known in Washington state.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Female Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from the Bois Brule River in Wisconsin
I'm guessing this specimen is in the genus Acerpenna because of the very sharp costal process on her hind wing. I'm guessing pygmaea because it is the most common species.

Editor note: Not Acerpenna. This is most likely Baetis. See comments on this male specimen for rationale. Also compare with the female specimen associated with it.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 1, 2006July 1st, 2006, 6:54 pm EDT
Jason-

My guess would be Baetis brunneicolor.

Roger
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 2, 2006July 2nd, 2006, 3:20 am EDT
How come?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 6, 2006July 6th, 2006, 6:45 am EDT
Jason-

Oh, sorry. Just discovered your response. Because of the striking similarity of your specimen's fore wing venation to the that of Baetis brunneicolor portrayed in Leonard & Leonard, page 87, Fig. 51.

Here is your photo arranged for comparison purposes:

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 6, 2006July 6th, 2006, 7:25 am EDT
Ok, thanks. I just looked at Leonard and you're right that the venation is strikingly similar (though not identical). They don't have very many other Baetis wings to compare to, though, so I'm hesitant to rule out the other species on those grounds.

The costal process on the hind wing is much sharper in this specimen than in the Leondards' drawing. I think that's a fairly important characteristic for this family and it's one reason I'm hesitant to call it Baetis.

Also, the Leonards show some intercalary veins on the hind wings of brunneicolor, which I don't see in this photo. That could be due to individual variation or bad focus in the photo, though.

The taxonomy of this whole family is such a mess right now. I really hope somebody publishes a definitive key to the genera soon based on something better than mandible setae and the like.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 21, 2006September 21st, 2006, 5:28 pm EDT
I'm even more confident that this is Acerpenna now that I've photographed an extremely similar specimen from upstate NY. The new female was associated with a male which I also photographed, and it keyed fairly confidently to Acerpenna in Merritt & Cummins.

I've fallen a bit behind on posting new pictures I've taken. I've got about 30 new specimens to put up, I think, including the Acerpenna pair. All that's coming ASAP.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.

Quick Reply