Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Taju has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Taju
Hartola, Finland

Taju on Nov 15, 2008November 15th, 2008, 7:46 am EST
I guess that this is Ptilostomis, according to the web-pages. But what is the species name (ocellifera??)?

Jukka
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Nov 15, 2008November 15th, 2008, 7:54 am EST
Certainly looks like Ptilostomis, but I'm not sure I know how to distinguish the species. Wait for Dave on that score.
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Nov 15, 2008November 15th, 2008, 8:14 am EST
While the photo is not as good as the previous (the wing venation/coloration is not in focus) I don't believe it is ocellifera as as my specimens of ocellifera are generally paler and with less wing coloration than the other two likely species (postica and semifasciata). I would not feel comfortable using just size and color to separate these species. I think you need to take a good look at the private parts to be sure.

There is an excellent source for this family:

Wiggins, G.B. 1998. The caddisfly family Phryganeidae (Trichoptera. University of Toronto Press. 306pp.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Nov 15, 2008November 15th, 2008, 10:18 am EST
Jukka,

Ethan Bright's website gives keys for Ptilostomis to the species level (based on the Wiggins reference that Creno mentions):

http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/~ethanbr/aim/Keys/Trichoptera/id_tom_phryganeidae_ptilostomis.html

Quick Reply