Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Taju has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Taju
Hartola, Finland

Taju on Nov 15, 2008November 15th, 2008, 8:05 pm EST
Hi again,

in the web I found the pictures of male genitalia of P. ocellifera and semifasciata, and I think that I also have some males of ocellifera. But what is this one?
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Nov 16, 2008November 16th, 2008, 5:03 am EST
If this is a North American phryganid I could propose either P. ocellifera or P. postica but that would mean that most of the parts are highly retracted. It doesn't seem likely that these two appendages (presumably the lateral arms of the 10th?)would be so obvious without some of the other appendages being visible as well. It just doesn't look right.

try a caudal and/or dorsal view if possible.
Taju
Hartola, Finland

Taju on Nov 16, 2008November 16th, 2008, 7:21 am EST
Compared to P. ocellifera dorsal appendages are missing, they are very visible in my 3 ocellifera specimens. But I have 3 more similarly constructed male genitalia (in those specimens the forewing is darker than in ocellifera). I'll try to make more photoes.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 16, 2008November 16th, 2008, 8:12 am EST
Whoa, and I thought Taxon could post up some racy pics. You caddis guys all must have dirty minds.

OK, just kidding! And mostly to pick on Roger some, who missed the latest round of razzing on this site. Auction me off, indeed!

In all seriousness, I am in awe of anyone who can identify caddis. Until I'm retired and have lots of time, I won't even pretend to begin to try.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Nov 16, 2008November 16th, 2008, 8:54 am EST
Hi Louis-

Upon seeing this thread, and before anyone had responded to it, the first thing that crossed my mind was, oh oh, this will certainly exceed Louis's threshold for specificity.

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Nov 16, 2008November 16th, 2008, 9:00 am EST
Careful what you say about us taxonomists. After all, once the fisherfolks started looking at fish food I think they stepped up from fish-squeezing to bottom-grabbing. And that photo is not even of the real parts :)

Quick Reply