Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Vermonter
Vermonter on May 14, 2008May 14th, 2008, 12:57 pm EDT
I know this topic has been kicked around some..I have had good luck using this product on browns at night. Strange thing is it seems to work on bats too!
SlateDrake9
Potter County, PA

SlateDrake9 on May 14, 2008May 14th, 2008, 1:44 pm EDT
I tried it on the backs of spinners when it first came out. Thought it would be great for the late evening/early night spinner falls, but it was useless. When I used enough flashlight to charge it up, I didn't have any night vision left to see in the dark to pick out a tiny glow on the water surface.

I also tried it on some indicators for steelhead fishing with the same poor results.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on May 14, 2008May 14th, 2008, 2:38 pm EDT
Slate drake,
Try using one of the pocket UV lights to charge you phosphorescents. Charges as quickly or quicker than white light and wont burn out the night vision.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on May 14, 2008May 14th, 2008, 2:54 pm EDT
Try using one of the pocket UV lights to charge you phosphorescents. Charges as quickly or quicker than white light and wont burn out the night vision.

But it does blind you to that elusive UV light.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Vermonter
Vermonter on May 15, 2008May 15th, 2008, 1:23 am EDT
The main advantage for me is when it is black, with no moon light at all and trout rising it helps me focus. My wife has tried it and sees no difference, of course she usually out fishies me. And at night of course in many cases you can canoe close and a long cast is not needed and seems to be a disadvantage. The game changes so much a night!

Quick Reply