Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on May 8, 2020May 8th, 2020, 10:31 am EDT
Well my waders were leaking, orvis silver sonics 4 years old and I beat the crap out of them. I know for sure there were two holes in the neoprene footies and maybe some seepage in crotch. So I got some aqua seal from my favorite fly shop, and also some Nikwax wash cleaner. First I washed the waders in the washing machine with the Nikwax cleaner, then in the dryer on delicate. then did a inspection with alcohol, plus the footies were pretty obvious. So I went fishing Wednesday, and although the fishing sucked my waders did not! I can say aqua seal is great product, simply follow the directions and you can at least get some more life out of your waders, I also think the Nikwax is a good idea for cleaning waterproof clothing. As a side note I dropped my power screwdriver from the top of a ladder today, really cracked the housing bad, so I got out the gorilla supper glue and its holding together well enough to continue my project for now. So there are 3 products I really like and would recommend.
Mike.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 9, 2020May 9th, 2020, 6:09 am EDT
Yeah, I've used Aquaseal all the time to clean up my Silver Sonics. I abuse them pretty badly, so I'm always sprouting new pinhole leaks, and plugging them once or twice a year is just a matter of routine, along with replacing the waders every few years. I love the Silver Sonics because the expensive ones don't last me any longer than they do, and I'd rather get new mid-priced waders every few years than new top-end ones that will leak just as much and cost more to replace.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on May 9, 2020May 9th, 2020, 6:20 am EDT
That's an interesting observation regarding the durability difference between mid-priced and top end waders, Jason. I've found pretty much the same thing. My Beans Kennebecs and my Simms waist highs both went three years before the percentage of Aquaseal in their overall weight began to creep steadily upwards. Yet there was a couple hundred dollars difference in their prices when new.

I also think there is a pretty sharp drop off in durability when the lower tier Cabelas/Frogg Toggs ($100-130 or so) etc. are compared to the mid price point (approx. $200-250 or so) waders.

So, any more I always buy middle of the line cost wise..
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 10, 2020May 10th, 2020, 5:22 pm EDT
Thanks! I hadn't figured this out, but it makes sense.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply