Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Isidro
Isidro on May 4, 2008May 4th, 2008, 3:04 am EDT
Maybe stone flies will be more successful than the mayflies. I tried to find a key for European families of Plecoptera but I don't have found it. This one was photographed yesterday at Bádenas, Teruel, Aragon, NE Spain at 850 meters high, in a point of permanent quiet water very dirty and full of aquatic grasses and hedges (Typha, Scirpus etc), with lime soil and surrounded by cultivated fields. The stone fly sizes about 17 mm long (including wings, not including antennae), and have not cerci. I have the collected expemplar for see the venation or all these characters that you can need for helps me with the identification.

Here are a list of all Iberian Peninsula stoneflies.

http://www.fauna-iberica.mncn.csic.es/faunaib/arthropoda/insecta/plecoptera/index.php

And here is the bug.

Thanks in advance.
Isidro
Isidro
Isidro on May 8, 2008May 8th, 2008, 11:52 am EDT
What a great success!!!

Well, looking in a book I see the venation very, very similar to Nemoura. I thinks that family Nemouridae is sure, then. But there are many, many (too many) species... so, it's impossible, only would be identified by distribution maybe...

Quick Reply