Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached these 3 pictures to this report. The message is below.

Report at a Glance

General RegionNorth east Ohio
Specific LocationSections of Conneaut Creek & Ashtabula River
Dates FishedApril 22 - 25
Time of DayHalf a day 4/22 & 4/25, all day 4/23 & 4/24
Fish CaughtSteelhead, dropbacks and prespawn hens
Conditions & HatchesIdeal flow - a bit off color 4/22, rest of trip perfect greenish color with about 18" visibility. Egg Hatch and lots of emerald shiners in the stream.

Details and Discussion

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 29, 2019April 29th, 2019, 2:33 pm EDT
My buddy from NJ and I weny up last Monday, April 22, we fished half a day Monday and Thursday and 8 - 9 hours Tuesday and Wednesday. Nice weather, although very windy Tuesday, large numbers of dropback steelhead but also some pre-spawn fish. I hesitate to say how many we hooked because most will say "impossible". So I'll just say how we did fishing from 7 - noon on Thursday. I landed 14 and my buddy landed 17. All were between 22" & 25". Trout beads and an emerald shiner pattern fished dead drift and swinging were equally effective. I also caught three awesome smallmouth 17" - 19". Great trip and it will give me and my buddy something to think about until we get back in October.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 29, 2019April 29th, 2019, 3:37 pm EDT
Some good looking fish there, Matt!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Apr 29, 2019April 29th, 2019, 11:23 pm EDT
Love chrome!