Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

By Troutnut on July 29th, 2020
I started fishing around 11:00 am to some difficult risers near camp, then worked my way upstream. In total for the day, I only caught 5 big fish (16–19") and one small one, but the big ones were all different and memorable:
1. I caught one fish by precision sight nymphing from above and behind it, close on a high cut bank.
2. I caught one that was cruising a very shallow, sunny, slow-moving tailout using a bonefish-style lead/cast/strip of a nymph in front of the fish's path.
3. A rising cruiser patrolling a deep pool tail took a caddis pupa dry, before it had started sinking.
4. I cast across a backbar channel and part of a gravel bar to a fish feeding up off the bottom of a shallow gravel bar, using a Galloup's pheasant tail nymph just below the surface.
5. While resting for a snack on a high bank over a pool, I saw one huge swirl from a fish chasing something. I cast a streamer and a nice fish slammed it. That was the only streamer action all day except for a few lazy follows.

I hooked and lost many nice fish throughout the day, more than twice the number I landed. Fish were generally not very active, and I had to work hard and get creative for every strike. There was lots of action on dry flies, mostly tiny, but I didn't land many fish on those. The most memorable lost fish was a big one from a high cut bank, below which was a submerged, undercut clay shelf. I hooked the fish, but there was no way to alnd it except by horsing it upstream 20 yards, which wasn't happening on a size 20 dry with a 6X tippet. I also broke one off on 7X while screwing around trying to fetch my net and camera after hooking the fish during a snack break.

Hatches were sparse. There were sporadic yellow sallies and some small (size 18), yellow-bodied Heptageniid mayfly duns. A few caddis and craneflies were around. The water temperature peaked at 65 degrees.

Photos by Troutnut from Slough Creek in Wyoming

Slough Creek in Wyoming
Slough Creek in Wyoming
Slough Creek in Wyoming
Beavers were a significant impediment to the fishing in many pools on Slough Creek, maybe at least 20 % of the pools I fished. They would come out at the worst times, swim around scaring the fish, and then slap their tails. Meanwhile, I was fishing an 18-foot leader/tippet and trying my best to drop my flies on the water without the slightest splash.

From Slough Creek in Wyoming
Slough Creek in Wyoming
Slough Creek in Wyoming
Slough Creek in Wyoming
Slough Creek in Wyoming
Slough Creek in Wyoming
Slough Creek in Wyoming
Slough Creek in Wyoming
Slough Creek in Wyoming
Slough Creek in Wyoming
Slough Creek in Wyoming
Slough Creek in Wyoming