Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 20 pictures. The message is below.
Here's my fly-fishing spot!
Looking the other way...had this spot almost to myself for a good long time
Flies for the salt
Oh man...
Oh that feels SOOOOOO good on my sunburned calves (from pier fishing)!!
Coming back to snorkel and kayak fish this spot!  One good pass from a jack or pompano but no hookups...this time!
Out to sea we go!
To my left sat two lovely young women from Nova Scotia...who knew how to fish! I ended up giving them the nickname "Porgy Girls"!
A couple of very nice older girls sat to my right...and they caught fish too, nearly showed me up!
And in front of me...
HA! Connected at last, with profuse congrats from the ladies! mutton snapper 14"-ish
Whole boat catch from the Miss Islamorada, March 12, 2020...a mess of fish and how many spp?
Where's mine???
BIRDS!!!!
Bold one!
When in the Keys...conch chowder...
...with tarpon swimming by!
I wish...
Got papayas? In front of the hotel office
What the hell did we catch out there Ron? And yes, that's a new fishing hat
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 16, 2020March 16th, 2020, 1:27 pm EDT
I actually had this lovely little beach all to myself for a while, and I will be back! Much potential, deeper channel right near mangrove thickets on shore, looks waaaaay juicy to me! How about the color(s) of the water??? Gemstones are named for these colors...I got high on sunshine after a particularly ugly and gray Michigan winter, a serotonin buzz that hasn't quite worn off yet. Got to test 2 travel telescopes as well, not a good location for deep sky but Venus was right over the coconut trees so my new 72 mm refractor & 127 mm Maksutov saw first light right then and there! Venus looked very crisp and beautiful, like a tiny half-moon, at 150x in the refractor & 187.5x in the Mak. And it was even warm enough to look at it comfortably!!!

Here's some more of the trip, enjoy! Something to cheer you up as the world around you falls apart...and talk about timing!!! Pulled this one off in the nick of time!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 16, 2020March 16th, 2020, 3:06 pm EDT
I love your reports, Jonathon!! Great photos.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply