Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Case view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
It's only barely visible in one of my pictures, but I confirmed under the microscope that this one has a prosternal horn and the antennae are mid-way between the eyes and front of the head capsule.

I'm calling this one Pycnopsyche, but it's a bit perplexing. It seems to key definitively to at least Couplet 8 of the Key to Genera of Limnephilidae Larvae. That narrows it down to three genera, and the case seems wrong for the other two. The case looks right for Pycnopsyche, and it fits one of the key characteristics: "Abdominal sternum II without chloride epithelium and abdominal segment IX with only single seta on each side of dorsal sclerite." However, the characteristic "metanotal sa1 sclerites not fused, although often contiguous" does not seem to fit well. Those sclerites sure look fused to me, although I can make out a thin groove in the touching halves in the anterior half under the microscope. Perhaps this is a regional variation.

The only species of Pycnopsyche documented in Washington state is Pycnopsyche guttifera, and the colors and markings around the head of this specimen seem to match very well a specimen of that species from Massachusetts on Bugguide. So I am placing it in that species for now.

Whatever species this is, I photographed another specimen of seemingly the same species from the same spot a couple months later.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

SumoLumo
Dallastown Pa

SumoLumo on Dec 31, 2018December 31st, 2018, 4:09 pm EST
Hi. Newbie here. I searched forum and didnt see any posts about this. If there are i am sorry. I have 32" thighs/quads without jeans on and 22" calves. I can NOT find a pair of hip waders to fit. Any suggestions. PLEASE HELP. I have reached out to many sellers online with no success. I plan on hiking thru brush as well. Most streams will not be past knee high. Thanks in advance. I posted this in the gear forum as well
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Jan 1, 2019January 1st, 2019, 2:03 pm EST
Hey Sumo, I'm not as big as you, and I have had trouble finding hip waders. I'm afraid that because of your size, you may be out of luck.

For some reason Dan Baily brand comes to mind. They seem to have more room than many other brands. But they are pricey.

But for wading in most streams that are not past knee high, have you thought of getting a pair of nylon pants and just wet wade? Thats what I basically do on the creeks here in Colorado. Simms has good quick drying pants you may want to give a try.

https://www.bing.com/shop?q=Dan+bailey+hip+waders&FORM=SHOPPA&originIGUID=EEC2DA33E16F4EA59D2A3FAA175D395E

I really hope this helps you.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 2, 2019January 2nd, 2019, 8:03 am EST
But for wading in most streams that are not past knee high, have you thought of getting a pair of nylon pants and just wet wade?

That is how New Zealanders wade. Look at any YouTube video of fly fishers in NZ and they never wear waders. Just some kind of legging tights, knee length shorts, wading socks, wading shoes, and gaiters. For the uninformed gaiters are the neoprene gizmos that have Velcro on the edges and you wrap them around your lower calf and the wading shoe so gravel does not get inside the wading shoes.

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/simms-neoprene-gravel-wrap-gaiters-fishing-accessories~p~1153n/?redirectevent=review
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
SumoLumo
Dallastown Pa

SumoLumo on Jan 4, 2019January 4th, 2019, 11:56 am EST
Thank you everyone. I found 2 sites after many nights of searching. I am going to have a pair made by Dan's Hunting gear. The baileys are not an option. Yoder's is another one that can be made to fit. Looks like i am going to be dropping some money no matter where i go. I thought of the wading shoe and nylon pants route but to be honest i get to cold to quick to go that route and i plan on fishing in some cold waters. Thank you everyone
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 4, 2019January 4th, 2019, 11:31 pm EST
Sumolumo,

I thought of the wading shoe and nylon pants route but to be honest i get to cold to quick to go that route and i plan on fishing in some cold waters.

Understood. Possibly the NZ rivers aren't any colder than the low 60's which is tolerable wading wet. But if you are fishing eastern streams and rivers in the spring and winter you can easily have water temperatures in the high 30's to low 40's and then you need warmth to avoid hypothermia issues. Good luck and have fun.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Jan 5, 2019January 5th, 2019, 10:30 am EST
I'm glad you found a way SumoLumo. It's true in some cases that size does matter, and because you are a large man, it's terrible that you have to pay extra just to have your needs met.
I hope the hip waders last you a long time after you get them and serve you well.

Quick Reply