Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flyguide1
Flyguide1's profile picture
East Tn

Flyguide1 on Aug 8, 2018August 8th, 2018, 12:23 pm EDT
What’s your favorite rod, weight and line combo?I,ve been fishing a h3d 8 wght with orvis depth charge 300gr and a mirage reel 7-9wt.What’s your favorite way to fish it?We fish from drift boats and rafts.Also who is your favorite streamer fly designer Gunnar Brammer,Kelly Galloup etc.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Aug 8, 2018August 8th, 2018, 1:25 pm EDT
I fish two rigs based on streamer length and weight. A 9' #7 floater or sink tip depending on water conditions for sizes #1 - #6 and a 9' #6 floater for #4 - #8. I never use streamers smaller than a #8 for trout. I prefer to wade fish when throwing but have a drift boat and will throw from the bow if someone rows for me. I use various retrieves but prefer steady long, 18" - 24", strips. Although in very cold water, 45 - 48, degrees I have done surprisingly well throwing across, mending up river, and letting it dead drift along the bottom.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Aug 9, 2018August 9th, 2018, 9:02 am EDT
I'm old-fashioned when it comes to streamers. I like a Royal Coachman streamer, Woolly Buggers, and my own ripoff of the Comet steelhead fly, the KBF. I go smaller than Matt, though - #10 is my favorite size. And my favorite WB variation is my POG bugger - peacock (body), olive (-dyed grizzly marabou for the tail), and grizzly (natural hackle palmered then counter-wrapped with green wire). Makes a fair sculpin imitation when well weighted.

Oh, Marabou Muddlers as well! And use various colors of dyed grizzly marabou for the wing, and plenty of weight.

Caveat: most of my waters are smaller, though I do plenty of stillwater fly fishing as well. I use a 9-foot 5-weight with a WF floating line, though I have a sink-tip on a spare spool if I need it. The nice thing about the floating line is you don't have to change it if they start popping dries off the surface. One of my favorite spots, Reid Lake, is 38 feet at the deepest and mostly 15-20, but I've pulled rainbows out of there up to 18 1/2" using a floating line and # 6 streamer (with lead-dumbbell eyes for weight).

So, you can take this info and just scale it up a bit and see if it works with your situation. Tight lines!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Aug 9, 2018August 9th, 2018, 11:31 pm EDT
This is good info, so Johnathon: when your Doing Stillwater , do you alter your retrieve style/speed a bit? I’ve never really still water fished for trout only warm water species. Also, do you do a countdown to dial into proper depth?

Thanks,

David
Flyguide1
Flyguide1's profile picture
East Tn

Flyguide1 on Aug 10, 2018August 10th, 2018, 6:53 am EDT
We also fish the water other guides tend to row thru as they refer to it as slack water on our rivers and have very good success streamer fishing. Typically once you find wear they are feeding in the water column its on. Do your count and switch up your retrieval fast short or long slow throw in a jig or two.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Aug 10, 2018August 10th, 2018, 10:16 am EDT
David, I always try to give my streamers an irregular retrieve:

strip....strip strip…..…………..STRIP...strip...strip strip…

Like a crippled baitfish having a hard time keeping equilibrium in a Stillwater, or the natural irregular movements of small fish in streams as they are hit by microcurrents that push them a little this way or that. And yes, when fishing Reid Lake or somewhere of similar depth, I give it a while to sink but don't really count, sometime set the rod down and take a quaff from the canteen, then pick it up and start my retrieve.

In a shallow spot like [REDACTED] Pond I use lighter weight (bead-chain versus lead dumbells) and start my retrieve a few seconds after it lands. Otherwise you might kiss it goodbye, even though you can see it in the log right below you. And I haven't snorkeled there since the 4-5" red-bellied leeches showed up in 2013, so that fly is GONE.

An aquatic organism having a hard time is easy food. That poor mayfly nymph that accidentally let go or is desperately trying to reach the surface, that crippled little minnow flashing in the sunlight, or sculpin darting from rock to rock trying to avoid Mister Brown...put something in front of them that looks like that and acts like that, they'll eat it!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply