Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Multifish
PA

Multifish on May 20, 2018May 20th, 2018, 6:14 pm EDT
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a trout fly tackle box but don't know which one to choose. Thought someone here may help me figure this out. So the question is-if it's you, which one will you choose, pic A/B/C?

fishing
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on May 21, 2018May 21st, 2018, 1:56 am EDT
Austin,

welcome to Troutnut, and welcome to a great and never-ending avocation since we never stop learning...

My very honest response to your query as to box # 1,2, or 3 would be none of the above. I'd humbly suggest going to a Fly Shop nearest the water you intend to fish- if that's possible- and ask the folks behind the counter what they suggest as to flies. That, and some research (LOTS of online info available, some good and some not-so) as to matching flies and hatches and such. 'Assortments' or pre-packaged flyboxes aren't terrible, I just wonder about the quality and accuracy of the flies in some of the ones I've seen up close. $ 33, $ 50, and $ 67 bucks is pretty steep for some maybe flies.

Tight lines, learn all you can, and its all fun- for years to come!

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 21, 2018May 21st, 2018, 11:16 am EDT
I tend to think Multifish is really not a fishing person at all but more likely a slick guy trying to sell some flies.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on May 21, 2018May 21st, 2018, 11:31 am EDT
Matt-

You're more discerning than I am...its a gift, and you use it well.
Anyway, I'll still stay away from 'assortments' and go on tying my own, that or buying local from a shop that knows the waters and hatches.

Overpriced stuff, IMHO.

Seriously, how are things on the Delaware? Our local river reports all note that hatches are 2-3 weeks late due to cold temps and when things do crank up I'm worried it'll be 'one and done' with rapidly warming water and slower fishing.

Tight lines,

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Multifish
PA

Multifish on May 21, 2018May 21st, 2018, 2:49 pm EDT
Thank you, Roguerat.

I'm new to fly fishing and know little about it. I just watched some videos and articles on how to's. It may be difficult, but I will give it a try. Thanks for your tips.
fishing

Quick Reply