Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Female Drunella flavilinea (Ephemerellidae) (Flav) Mayfly Dun from the Henry's Fork of the Snake River in Idaho
I can't be certain of the ID of this female dun, but I'm calling it Drunella flavilinea for three reasons: 1) the known abundance of "flavs" on the Henry's Fork, 2) clear differences in coloration from my confirmed specimens of Drunella coloradensis, which is the main lookalike, and 3) the habitat (a sizable river in a wide mountain valley, rather than a small, high-altitude stream) suggests it's not coloradensis.
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Mar 11, 2021March 11th, 2021, 7:51 am EST
Lowell,

Welcome to a great forum, and I pm'd you on some Flav resources. Not a familiar fly (local to MI, anyway) so far as I know...

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe

Quick Reply

Troutnut.com is copyright © 2004-2024 (email Jason). privacy policy