Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Apr 8, 2018April 8th, 2018, 3:22 am EDT
Hey guys,

Anybody use the new air lock thingamabobbers? Heard they’re an improvement upon the old as they’re easier to adjust, put on and take off and don’t crimp the line. What do you think?

Thanks
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 8, 2018April 8th, 2018, 5:53 am EDT
Adirman wrote,

Anybody use the new air lock thingamabobbers? What do you think?

I first saw them a few years ago at the fly shop up while steelhead fishing. In my opinion they are the best indicator that I have ever used. I would never use another indicator. I only use indicators when steelheading.

I know from speaking with fly shop owners the Air Lock indicator is outselling the original Thingamabobber by a huge margin. They cost a bit more out preform the other style. No more leader butts looking like a corkscrew.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 8, 2018April 8th, 2018, 8:53 am EDT
Based on Matt's recommendation a while back, I tried them. And I agree; they are far superior to Thingamabobbers. Just don't lose the little plastic nut. Or the washer.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 8, 2018April 8th, 2018, 9:10 am EDT
Louis wrote;

Just don't lose the little plastic nut. Or the washer.

Yep, I have lost both at different times. It will still work if you lose the little rubber washer except now when you tighten the plastic nut the pressure will possibly squash the butt. If you lose the nut it is game over!

After losing one plastic nut into the creek I now apply it to the leader either before I even leave the car or somewhere on the bank just in case if I drop it I can hopefully find it. When steelheading I always carry 3 or 4 with me of various diameters and colors so if I drop the nut I can steal one from another indicator.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 8, 2018April 8th, 2018, 9:11 am EDT
:)
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Strmanglr
Strmanglr's profile picture
Strmanglr on Apr 9, 2018April 9th, 2018, 11:59 am EDT
I try not to use bobbers. :)
Wygnar
Kootenai National Forest

Wygnar on Apr 11, 2018April 11th, 2018, 5:25 am EDT
As far as bobbers go... they're the cream of the crop.
Kootenai River Rat

Quick Reply