Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Outdoors198
Outdoors198 on Sep 29, 2015September 29th, 2015, 4:07 pm EDT
I was curious as to whether anyone was using the new air-lock strike indicators? I'm especially curious about the option to use them in a 90 degree setup.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Sep 29, 2015September 29th, 2015, 4:37 pm EDT
What is an air-lock strike indicator? A Thing-a-ma-bobber? I use them 100% of the time nymphing for Erie creek steelhead. Love them! They keep the fly off the bottom which is littered with shale (hook magnets) and in the strike zone. I use white most of the time as it looks like the foam in the streams. I haven't tried the new ones that have an integral peg to keep it positioned on your leader. I use tiny rubber "boober stops" to keep mine positioned. I thread on one stop, apply the indicator, then thread on another stop. It is easy to slide the indicator up, and down, the thicker diameter butt section of my leader. The bobber stops don't hold well on slender tippet material.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Outdoors198
Outdoors198 on Sep 29, 2015September 29th, 2015, 6:35 pm EDT
The guys at my local fly shop love them over thingamabobbers due to the easier adjustment, the non slipping on tiny tippet and the really cool adjustable 90 degree hinge setup you can do.
http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/better-bobber-air-lock-strike-indicators/7712402
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 29, 2015September 29th, 2015, 9:33 pm EDT
I hadn't heard of these. Thanks!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Sep 30, 2015September 30th, 2015, 12:45 am EDT
Here is the improved Thingamabobber;

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Westwater-Products-Thingamabobber-With-Jam-Stop/productDetail/Fly-Fishing-Tools-Accessories/prod999901363469/cat101059
Outdoors198
Outdoors198 on Sep 30, 2015September 30th, 2015, 11:07 am EDT
The whole reason I really asked about people's opinions on them is I was curious as to whether or not anyone had made use of the option to thread the tippet through the hole in the cap and use it in an adjustable 90° indicator setup...
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Sep 30, 2015September 30th, 2015, 2:24 pm EDT
Hello Outdoors,

The whole reason I really asked about people's opinions on them is I was curious as to whether or not anyone had made use of the option to thread the tippet through the hole in the cap and use it in an adjustable 90° indicator setup...

Well then I have never used them. I saw them advertised in a fly magazine but figured they were just a knock-off of the Thingamabobber. I guess this is not the case. Would you enlighten me to the advantages of a 90 degree indicator set up compared to the way I set it up? I just add the indicator about two feet deeper than the water I am fishing. Sometimes I use the bobber (that is what they really are) more as a strike detector rather than to suspend the fly off the bottom. For example if I'm nymphing for steelhead I may put the Thingamabobber way up near the butt of the leader almost 9' away from the fly. This works well in really swift current where the likelihood of getting snagged is significantly reduced. I'm pretty sure I'd feel the strike from a 6# steelhead but it's exciting to see that 1" white bobber get yanked underwater. It reminds me of when I was a kid and my Dad and I used to fish a lake in New Jersey with herring and those red & white bobbers.

Outdoors198
Outdoors198 on Sep 30, 2015September 30th, 2015, 2:42 pm EDT
With the exception of fishing small midge patterns in stillwaters I have never used an indicator to suspend a fly off the bottom either. I have been told that a 90° set up can be better for longline nymphing but I have never done it myself. That is why I was so curious as to whether anyone had tried it before and how they liked it with the airlock. With traditional strike indicators using the 90° set up meant it was not adjustable without cutting and re-tying. I have not used a bobber to suspend anything for many many moons.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 2, 2015October 2nd, 2015, 5:46 pm EDT
I once fished a large trout river with a very accomplished guide (other guides in the area have told me he's one of the best on the river). For several stretches of deep water we used a 90 degree "bobber" set up (of his own design) and drop shot rig and we caught some nice bows casting upstream, then mending, mending, mending for long drifts. We switched to dry flies once the hatch got going. Certainly gave me something to think about. I've modified his rig a little a time or two for some long-line nymphing in deeper water, using a thingamabobber, and I remember one especially productive day.

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 3, 2015October 3rd, 2015, 12:33 am EDT
Louis,

Would you please explain how to set-up a Thingamabobber for 90 degree nymphing.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 3, 2015October 3rd, 2015, 6:43 am EDT
Matt, as I said, I "modified" his rig. Technically what I used was not a 90 degree set up, but if you think about the way the line comes out of the O ring in the Thingamabobber, if you have deep water and suspend a nymph below it your tippet will drop below the Thingamabobber at pretty much 90 degrees. The guide used a larger foam bobber, and rigged it with a peg, so that's my main modification. But I also was not using drop shot, but rather an anchor nymph with a dropper up above it. Another modification.

--Fred Chappell
Planettrout
Planettrout's profile picture
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

Planettrout on Oct 5, 2015October 5th, 2015, 6:55 am EDT
This describes how to use the right angle method with an air lock strike indicator:

http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/better-bobber-air-lock-strike-indicators/7712402

Personally, I prefer the old method with the drop tippet in front of a tuft of yarn:

http://www.brantoswaldflyfishing.com/new/images/endleader.jpg

PT/TB
Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply