Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wiflyfisher has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Tricos and some other small mayflies. One in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Aug 7, 2007August 7th, 2007, 10:36 am EDT
This morning I had some really small bugs coming off. I was able to grab some off of a spider's web. I know the small blackish guys are Tricos but I am not sure what the little bigger guys are, which was more abundant. Any thoughts?

A #20 pheasant tail dropper with a #20 comparadun did catch several trout. I didn't see enough Tricos to go down to #24's.
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Aug 7, 2007August 7th, 2007, 11:02 am EDT
Hard to say. Could be Acentrella.
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Aug 7, 2007August 7th, 2007, 11:28 am EDT
Konchu, thanks. I was thinking "Pseudocloeon". Of course, you probably changed that on me too. :-)
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Aug 7, 2007August 7th, 2007, 1:52 pm EDT
They also could be Plauditus. Most of the Plauditus and Acentrella species were known as Pseudocloeon at one time. I'll bet Taxon has some ideas, too.

And just to be clear, I had NOTHING to do with the Pseudocloeon thing.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Aug 7, 2007August 7th, 2007, 7:06 pm EDT
John-

As Konchu suggested, I have some ideas, but would prefer to get some additional information from you before sharing them. I have annotated your photo with two comparable linear dimensions. Please ignore the 1.40", as it was based on photo enlargement.

Anyway, the first dimension is the length of one of the mayfly bodies. The second is the length between two lines on the palm of the hand of the person holding the mayflies. Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to measure the "actual" length in mm between the two lines in the palm.

Also, it appears to me that the mayfly I dimensioned has two tails and no hind wings. Can you confirm either of my beliefs from your observation of the actual specimen?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Aug 8, 2007August 8th, 2007, 7:31 am EDT
Twice as long as the Tricos. :-)

I kept them in a flybox but they are all dried up so they are just a mush ball of dead bugs. Besides, I can't see those lines in my hand like that anymore. You should see me trying to thread my 7x tippet through the eyes of those little hooks! Thank goodness for Walmart 2X reading glasses. :)
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 9, 2007August 9th, 2007, 4:30 am EDT
John, Taxon has used dotted lines, next to the left hand 1.40 to designate the lines he's asking about. They came out faint, but visible when he reposted the photo. If he doesn't darken or enhance them a bit, reading glasses (which I too must use) will make them clearer.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply