Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Psyfly
Wellsville, NY

Psyfly on Aug 10, 2007August 10th, 2007, 4:49 pm EDT
A lot of great info has been shared in this thread. I have a lot to consider, thanks. Too much water too little time!
"If I might be judge, God never did make a more calm,quiet, innocent recreation than angling" Isaac Walton
www.tierneysflies.com
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Aug 13, 2007August 13th, 2007, 4:04 pm EDT
A lot of great info has been shared in this thread. I have a lot to consider, thanks. Too much water too little time!

Now that is Good Problem to have!
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 13, 2007August 13th, 2007, 7:46 pm EDT
Too much water too little time!

Now that is Good Problem to have!

If you think that's bad in PA, try moving to Alaska!!!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Aug 14, 2007August 14th, 2007, 4:15 am EDT
Jason, I don't expect you to come back until you've fished every mile of it. And it would be nice if you tried to get skunked from time to time, too, for our sakes.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Lam
Lancaster, PA

Lam on Aug 24, 2007August 24th, 2007, 9:24 am EDT
If you are around Harrisburg, try Clark's Creek. Loaded with fish and the stream is fed by a bottom release dam. Bring some green weenies.
Lam
Lancaster, PA

Lam on Aug 25, 2007August 25th, 2007, 4:01 pm EDT
Update on Clark's:

I went there for 2 hours today and caught 1 brown. Nice red spots, etc. but only about 9". The water was low, shich surprised me since it's a bottom release dam-fed stream. I assume the release is restricted because it is Harrisburg's water supply and we haven't been getting much rain. The bottom line is that the water is low but still cool. VERY clear, easy to spook conditions.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Aug 26, 2007August 26th, 2007, 9:59 am EDT
I went to Clark's Creek on 08/13 and it was very low and much stealth was required. I used 7X all day and a little soft hackle wet fly that I tied up a few years ago that always works well for me there. It is very simple and here is the recipe:

Hook - Tiemco 3761 #20
Thread - 8/0 Brown uni
Tail - 3 - 5 Woodduck fibers
Abdomen - Two twisted strands from a mottled turkey wing
Rib - XFine gold wire
Thorax - Fine brown beaver (no guard hair)
Collar - Dark dun hen hackle 1 - 2 turns

I fish this fly blind or to rising fish. I angle the cast downstream but usually not straight but to the left or right of the fish dependent on how the current will carry the fly. I like to overshoot the cast a foot or so and then begin a slow hand twist retrieve. since the fish are rarely over 13" I don't break off many fish when they strike. I took five fish on it on the 13th including two wild browns and two stocked fish about 12".

I never use a rod longer than 6' 6" and shorter is even better as it is so easy to get hung up in the trees. I fished from the pool shown in the picture down to where the path comes down to the creek, about 200 yards. It was nice because no one was in front of me to bitch up the water.

I'd go again but there is so little water and so few fish it is not worth the cost of the gas fifty miles back and forth.

If anyone wants to go for smallmouth bass on the Susky above the Juniata during week let me know via PM. I have a jet bass boat and wouldn't mind some company. I did ok at a spot near a ferry crossing two weeks ago and there is a spot at Clemson Island that is good too but you need to be on the water at daybreak. At Clemson I wade fish as there is no ramp to put my boat in there. I ususally am able to go Tuesday through Thursday.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Lam
Lancaster, PA

Lam on Aug 26, 2007August 26th, 2007, 2:58 pm EDT
I think I was on Clark's on the 13th too.

My brother was up from GA, I met him in Coudersport and we fished Friday night, Saturday, and then I brought him down to Lancaster on Sunday. We hit Clark's on the way down. I caught my biggest brown from Clark's on that day. It was 19". My brother put the picture on a CD for me, I'll try to find it and figure out how to post on here.

Thanks for the tip on the wet fly. I read Dave Hughes' book on wet flies a little while ago and have tied some. I haven't fished them much yet. I'll have to tie a few of your recipe and try them out.
Lam
Lancaster, PA

Lam on Aug 26, 2007August 26th, 2007, 3:04 pm EDT
Is that a Payne bamboo rod in your picture? The end cap and reel seat look familiar.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Aug 26, 2007August 26th, 2007, 3:51 pm EDT
Heh, heh, you have a couple thousand you wanna part with??
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply