Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jan 22, 2010January 22nd, 2010, 10:31 am EST
Hey we should crash it!

I would love to fish the Delaware again! I still have fond memories of big trout during the sulphur hatch at the Junction Pool and staying at the White House.
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Feb 5, 2010February 5th, 2010, 9:24 am EST
Hi Matt
Nice fish, I don't think your going to earn any demerits for a target fish. I think some one from Wisconsin posted some Pike pictures a while back, but you know how that is (If you can't catch real fish (Trout) then Pike will do. That should get a rise---No pun intended.

Once again a PA guy takes a swipe at the WI guys.

P.S. Oh, almost forgot, nice CARP JAD
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Falsifly
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Feb 6, 2011February 6th, 2011, 3:37 pm EST
Well it seems the PA Contingent lost out to us on this one, but I’d like to tip my hat to our friends for a game well played. That first quarter had me sitting back, but the second third and fourth had me on the edge of my seat.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Trout11B
NW Wisconsin

Trout11B on Feb 9, 2011February 9th, 2011, 3:05 am EST
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't early season opener a few weeks away?

Ryan
Balancing school, military, relationships, sports and all the other things in my life with fly fishing.
Bellsporter
boulder colorado

Bellsporter on Feb 9, 2011February 9th, 2011, 10:56 am EST
Is there a Colorado contingent? If so I'd like to begin my initiation.Lucas
Falsifly
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Feb 9, 2011February 9th, 2011, 2:41 pm EST
Proceed with caution, the early season may not include the water you plan on fishing.

http://dnr.wi.gov/fish/

No Colorado Contingent here to my knowledge.
Falsifly
Trout11B
NW Wisconsin

Trout11B on Feb 11, 2011February 11th, 2011, 7:27 am EST
Proceed with caution, the early season may not include the water you plan on fishing.

Ya, I've been trying to wade through the regs for Wisconsin for awhile. Back in Illinois the regs are simpler to an extent, but up here near the big lake they seem to get fairly complicated, at least to me.

Ryan
Balancing school, military, relationships, sports and all the other things in my life with fly fishing.
Falsifly
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Feb 11, 2011February 11th, 2011, 8:23 am EST
Ryan,
Agreed, sifting through the Wis. trout regulations is a lot like trout fishing. Difficult at first, but once you get the hang of it you’ll catch on. If you find the wed site and the printed pamphlet (which is available at the sports shop) lacking, you should be able to get answers from the sports shop personnel, or place a call to the nearest DNR office.

Falsifly
Logboy73
Logboy73 on Feb 26, 2011February 26th, 2011, 2:49 pm EST
Early Season opens next Saturday. I'm thinking its going to be a chilly one.

http://dnr.wi.gov/fish/seasons/earlytrout.htm

I have a question. I didn't buy a trout stamp last year (new baby), just a fishing license. Its not possible to buy the new 2011 license yet and get a new stamp. Whats a guy supposed to do? Try and buy last years trout stamp so I can catch and release?
If it wasn't for Woolly Buggers I'd probably never catch anything.
Falsifly
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Feb 26, 2011February 26th, 2011, 4:13 pm EST
JR,
New licenses are supposed to be available Wed. March 9th. So I guess you purchase last years stamp for a couple days, or wait until the following Wednesday for the 2011/2012 license and stamp. The best thing to do is go to the bait shop and ask. Or you could just claim you’re fishing for chubs.
Falsifly
Freepow
menomonie, WI

Freepow on Feb 28, 2011February 28th, 2011, 5:58 am EST
The anticipation is killing me...I don't care how cold it is, I'm wetting a line even for 5 minutes! The cure for the common cabin fever!
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Feb 28, 2011February 28th, 2011, 5:25 pm EST
Don't you folks have any other hobbies besides trout fishing??? Try cross-country skiing or something before you all go insane, get sick from the cold, drown in 35 F waters, or get arrested for fishing out of season or without a license!!

Jonathon from MICHIGAN

P.S. Do you not have any steelhead in your part of the world?
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Logboy73
Logboy73 on Mar 2, 2011March 2nd, 2011, 2:38 pm EST
I think you have to go up to the Brule River to find some Steelhead.

Looks like it will be chilly this weekend. 1-3 more inches of snow on Thursday, a high of 29 on Saturday. Still, I don't mind fishing in the snow if it means having a stretch of the Rush to myself. Too bad gas costs a fortune again.

Who all is going to the Great Waters Fly Fishing Expo April 1?

http://www.greatwatersflyfishingexpo.com/Home.html
Freepow
menomonie, WI

Freepow on Mar 3, 2011March 3rd, 2011, 5:39 am EST
I don't think you'll have the Rush to yourself Logboy! I'll be out there too. I really look forward to it because it is a state that you don't really get to see the river in...all frozen like that. It certainly has a different kind of beauty than the summer season. Can't wait...
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
Logboy73
Logboy73 on Jun 24, 2017June 24th, 2017, 5:45 pm EDT
Anyone in Wisconsin still fishing besides me?

Quick Reply