Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Millcreek has attached these 7 pictures. The message is below.
Female. In alcohol.
Female. In alcohol. Ventral view.
Female. In alcohol.
Female. In alcohol. Ventral view.
Male. In alcohol.
Male. In alcohol. Ventral view
Male and female. Live specimens.
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Mar 14, 2016March 14th, 2016, 7:55 pm EDT
This is a fairly common nymph in the Russian River between April and May. Identification to genus was made using Merritt, Cummins and Berg (2008). Identification to species was made using Allen and Edmund's 'A Revision of the Genus Ephemerella (Ephemeroptera; Ephemerellidae) VI. The Subgenus Serratella in North America. http://www.ephemeroptera-galactica.com/pubs/pub_a/puballenr1963p583.pdf

Serratella levis nymphs are between 5-7 mm in length excluding cerci. They're usually found in fast glides and to a lesser extent in riffles. Bottom usually consists of clean gravel and cobble.
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Mar 18, 2016March 18th, 2016, 6:44 am EDT
Wonderful photos, Mark. It is truly amazing how an intense study of a single watershed has provided us a glimpse of the amazing diversity of life. What impresses me perhaps the most are your examples of obscure species showing up in good numbers.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Mar 18, 2016March 18th, 2016, 11:02 am EDT
Wonderful photos, Mark.

Thanks.

What impresses me perhaps the most are your examples of obscure species showing up in good numbers.

Kurt, I'm not sure any of the species are that obscure, seems to me that you just have to visit areas as often as possible. As for the number of them, they can vary over time.
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Mar 18, 2016March 18th, 2016, 4:14 pm EDT
What I meant by obscure is their significance in angler related entomological literature. For example out of the dozens of popular texts on the subject, I can't think of one that spends more than passing mention on this genus let alone the species.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Mar 18, 2016March 18th, 2016, 5:40 pm EDT
Even among the scientific texts they're somewhat obscure, labelled as the serrata group in 'The Biology of Mayflies' by Needham, Traver and Hsu and 'Aquatic Insects of California' under Day's account. They seem to have come into their own when Edmunds account came out in 1959. http://www.ephemeroptera-galactica.com/pubs/pub_e/pubedmundsg1959p543.pdf
They were then given the name Serratella.

About the only description I can find of Serratella levis as a nymph is Allen and Edmunds at the web address listed under the pictures.
-Albert Einstein
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Mar 18, 2016March 18th, 2016, 7:11 pm EDT
Hi Mark-

Your aquatic insect macro photos are really special. You are undoubtedly well aware of the geographic distribution of Serratella levis, but perhaps others may not be.

Incidentally, the (8) pages Chapter 13 of Western Mayfly Hatches by Hafele and Hughes are devoted to genus Serratella, and mention S. levis among the "Other Western Species of less importance."
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Mar 18, 2016March 18th, 2016, 8:34 pm EDT
Roger-

Thanks for the kind words on the photos.

I'm glad to hear that at least 'Western Mayfly Hatches' has something on Serratella hatches. I was beginning to wonder whether or not anything had been written on them.
-Albert Einstein
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Mar 19, 2016March 19th, 2016, 1:48 am EDT
Mark-

You are certainly welcome. For mayfly identification purposes, when I don't immediately recognize the genus, Western Mayfly Hatches is customarily the first reference book I will open.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Mar 20, 2016March 20th, 2016, 8:49 am EDT
Ahh.. Good reasons to add that book to my library, Roger. After leafing through it several years ago, I assumed it was just another of many redundant angler entomologies with little new to offer. Thanks for the heads up!

Quick Reply