Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Male Ephemerella needhami (Ephemerellidae) (Little Dark Hendrickson) Mayfly Dun from the West Branch of the Delaware River in New York
See the comments for an interesting discussion of the identification of this dun.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 19, 2007July 19th, 2007, 4:51 am EDT
Jason,

Somehow, I don't think this is Serratella--it seems too large (especially for a male), and the "S" with which I'm familiar have very dark wings. I thought I'd call attention to it in the hope that someone might be able to offer some insight and, perhaps, clear up the mystery.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 19, 2007July 19th, 2007, 5:23 am EDT
Gonzo-

It's a Paraloptophlebia male dun, lilely P. mollis. For verification, see the male dun on Hatches II Color Plate VII, and use some magnification on the photo to compare the distinctive hind wing costal cell venation to Jason's photos.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Jul 19, 2007July 19th, 2007, 5:28 am EDT
Those IDs were my guesses. I didn't pay any attention to the size aspect. New guess: maybe a Eurylophella?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 19, 2007July 19th, 2007, 7:37 am EDT
Hi Konchu-

I like your guess a lot better than mine. In retrospect, wish I'd initially characterized it thusly. The presence of some costal angulation in the hind wing in Jason's photos was a bit troubling to me, as Paraleptophlebia are customarily rounded, but ah well.

The Mayflies Of Florida by Berner/Pescador, which your enthusiastic recent reference motivated me to purchase, illustrates both the fore and hind wing venation of a male Eurylophella temporalis (previously Ephemerella temporalis).

The venation (of both fore and hind wings) is really close to Jason's photos, except for an interesting (apparent) absence of (costal) crossveins on the basal 75% of the wing in Jason's photos.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 19, 2007July 19th, 2007, 8:30 am EDT
I'll put it in Eurylophella for now. I'm sure it's some Ephemerellid; the body is too stout and the hind wing too wide to fit the general shape of a Paralep.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Jul 19, 2007July 19th, 2007, 9:37 am EDT
The forceps also are ephemerellid-like.
Dhfunk
Avondale PA

Dhfunk on Feb 24, 2008February 24th, 2008, 11:41 pm EST
This is definitely Ephemerella needhami. I have photos of subs I reared from this region that look exactly like the posted photo. All Eurylophella from that region have slate-grey wings as subimagos, and more orangish eyes, with neutral brown body (not this reddish brown). Serratella deficiens has darkened "elbows" in the sub. Other Serratella from the region are somewhat similar to needhami, but smaller, of course.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 25, 2008February 25th, 2008, 5:15 am EST
Thanks Dhfunk. That sounds like the most confident ID on this one yet and it's pretty consistent with what's been suggested by others.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Beardius
Beardius on Dec 4, 2008December 4th, 2008, 8:44 pm EST
I trust DhFunk's identification and expertise as well.

It is nice to see some really top notch taxonomists contributing to these boards.

Quick Reply