Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Female Attenella margarita (Ephemerellidae) (Little Western Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Willowemoc Creek in New York
I found this dun unusually late in the year for anything in the Ephemerellidae family in the East. It's also small for that family.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Oct 3, 2006October 3rd, 2006, 3:15 pm EDT
My Ephemerellidae keys are pretty much garbage when it comes to identifying female duns. I'm wondering if anybody has any insight on this one based on personal experience.

There can't be all that many tiny olive Ephemerellids hatching in September. My tentative guess would be Serratella.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Oct 3, 2006October 3rd, 2006, 6:41 pm EDT
Jason-

I'm reasonably confident that it's Attenella margarita.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Oct 4, 2006October 4th, 2006, 6:08 am EDT
OK, I'll move it there for now. What makes you sure?

I looked through all the scientific papers I have on the likely species again and can't find anything useful. I really wish they described the females and the duns more often.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Oct 4, 2006October 4th, 2006, 9:23 am EDT
Jason-

Take a look at Fauceglia p. 67. It’s the best photo I’ve found of a Attenella female dun. Incidentally, I hadn’t yet discovered that photo when I offered the earlier opinion, but that reinforced my opinion.

In any event, there are a number of factors, which taken together, convinced me:
- dorsal pointed finger-like meso-thoractic projection
- hind wing costal projection
- body coloration
- size
- early Sep. emergence
- presence in NY
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply