Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flyflinger
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Flyflinger on Feb 23, 2015February 23rd, 2015, 8:24 am EST
A US retailer who places orders with Veniard just told me a Veniard rep said Pearsall plans to discontinue the manufacturing of its Gossamer silk thread. Has anyone heard this preposterous rumor? I just can't imagine Pearsall stopping production after it has been do so since the 18th century.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 23, 2015February 23rd, 2015, 8:58 am EST
Stranger things have happened! The Gudebrod company who made threads, tinsels, and other millinery products, that many used for fly tying, went out of business about two years ago and they were in business about 118 years. Isn't the Gossamer silk thread used primarily for salmon flies and soft hackles? Maybe Pearsall feels that the product is no longer a money maker.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Flyflinger
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Flyflinger on Mar 5, 2015March 5th, 2015, 12:31 am EST
I have an update to the rumor that Pearsall's Gossamer silk and perhaps Marabou will no longer be made. An Illinois fly shop quoted to me from the Veniard 2014 catalog that Pearsall will no longer make the silk threads. A PA fly shop retailer noted that Hareline appears to be selling Pearsall silk products but at a much higher price. I hope Hareline is not setting itself up as the sole distributor for Pearsall products and jacking up the prices. I am still checking with retailers I normally deal with.

I am still searching for three colors, Pearsall's Gossamer Orange 6A, Blue 6 and Blue 7. Nobody seems to have it.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 5, 2015March 5th, 2015, 6:55 am EST
Dette Trout Flies may have the Orange/Gold 6A. 607-498-4991.

https://www.detteflies.com/node
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 5, 2015March 5th, 2015, 1:55 pm EST
You know Lewis, they may have a trustworthy answer in terms of this rumor being true or not.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Flyflinger
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Flyflinger on Mar 6, 2015March 6th, 2015, 3:05 am EST
Louis, I didn't see specifically orange 6A, but I did see gold 6A. I'll give the shop a call to see whether that color and blue 6 or 7 and mulberry can be ordered. Also, I believe Dette Trout Flies can provide info on the availability of Pearsall's Gossamer silk thread.
Planettrout
Planettrout's profile picture
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

Planettrout on Mar 6, 2015March 6th, 2015, 5:21 am EST
Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 6, 2015March 6th, 2015, 6:16 am EST
It seems some list 6A as orange, some as gold, some as orange/gold. They may all be the same thing, but it wouldn't hurt to ask someone more familiar with the thread just to be sure.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 6, 2015March 6th, 2015, 6:41 am EST
I had three spools of Pearsall's silk thread. Two orange and one light yellow. I never used them and just threw them out a few days ago.
MiltRPowell
MiltRPowell on Mar 6, 2015March 6th, 2015, 9:26 am EST
Wow, I always thought another mans trash, could be another mans treasure....
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 6, 2015March 6th, 2015, 10:16 am EST
How about that huh?
MiltRPowell
MiltRPowell on Mar 6, 2015March 6th, 2015, 10:41 am EST
Ah, just a shame that's all. I think today we throw to much out that could be of good to others. Next time you could put it on somewhere here, you'd have 1/2 doz guys, jumping on those threads.... Just food for thought...Free, just pay postage!!!
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
Flyflinger
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Flyflinger on Mar 11, 2015March 11th, 2015, 2:41 am EDT
OK, I believe I have it sorted out now, thanks in part to Planettrout. I communicated with Carol Frieze, Pearsall Embroidery. This is what she had to say about Pearsall's Gossamer silk thread:

"...The Superfine Silk is, in fact, Gossamer. We used to dye the embroidery and fishing silks for Pearsalls until shortly before he left. We had also bought a good quantity of gossamer to dye for our own purposes and for legal reasons had to call it by a different name. They no longer manufacture any silks other than those used for surgical purposes, but I have some here so can still keep going for a while." The "he" is John Cunningham, who dyed most of the products and died in 2009.

I also heard Hareline Dubbin will be the sole US distributor of Pearsall Gossamer (sic) products but at a higher mark-up. Whether that is true for Pearsall Embroidery remains to be seen. However, one can order directly from Pearsall Embroidery.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 11, 2015March 11th, 2015, 5:38 am EDT
Whew, glad you got that irksome matter sorted out!
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 11, 2015March 11th, 2015, 1:55 pm EDT
That is interesting...Mark Libertone sent me to JoAnns several years back to buy embroidery thread. He tied his softhackle classics with it. They come four ply, or four strands, and he would just separate them and tie with one of the strands. That goes a long way and they have great colors...DMC I think it is...It's not real silk, but cotton.

He would tie it in at the front near the eye, wrap back as far as he wanted, and wrap back to the tying thread. He would then wrap some partridge or grouse a turn or two and there you have it. Sometimes he would dub a little hairsmask just behing the feather...A little thorax? or help stand the fibers out.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply