Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Feb 27, 2015February 27th, 2015, 5:11 am EST
“Purity (in fly fishing) by nostalgia is an interesting idea, but the logic of it is inescapable. If we carry purism to its logical conclusion, to do it right you’d have to live naked in a cave, hit your trout on the head with rocks, and eat them raw. But, so as no to violate another essential element of the fly fishing tradition, the rocks would have to be quarried in England and cost $300 each.” -John Gierach

This is great! I may need to read some Gierach.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Feb 27, 2015February 27th, 2015, 6:39 pm EST
Gierach is a truly entertaining writer. Some of the best fishing writing out there, fly-fishing or otherwise.

Yes Louis, I've always tried to keep one toe in the Pleistocene.

Quick Reply