Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Blackghost
Blackghost on May 22, 2009May 22nd, 2009, 6:01 pm EDT
I have learned so many different methods about fishing rivers on what to look for what insect too match on what trout are feeding on. One way is too match your nymph,pupa,or larve to the bottom coloration of the river. Or another method is turning over rocks on the stream bottom and looking for different aquatic insects. What does everyone else have for different methods. And should I try something new? If there not feeding on emergers or spinners I always start with a gold ribbed hares ear,which I think is a great universal mayfly nymph....
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 23, 2009May 23rd, 2009, 2:01 am EDT
It's hard to go wrong with a hare's ear. I often start with a Walt's Worm, which is a hare's ear minus the tail, legs, wingcase, and ribbing--basically a cigar shaped hare's ear with or without a bead. In summer if there's no hatch, I'll start with a wet or dry terrestrial.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on May 23, 2009May 23rd, 2009, 3:05 am EDT
What to look for first

I like to start by observing and checking the shorelines and bushes. Spider webs with possible insects caught in the web give us clues (see URL below), as well as looking in the backwaters for shucked nymph cases floating on the surface, or on logs or protruding rocks for shucked cases. Picking up rocks on the bottom may help with certain species but not the burrowing nymphs.

Hare's ear is good, so is a flymph, etc... for a general search pattern. Just depends on if I am dun shrucked or not, which usually I am.

http://www.wiflyfisher.com/ephoron-leukon-mayfly-hatch.asp
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 23, 2009May 23rd, 2009, 5:53 am EDT
Yeah, you might look for some of those "dun shucks" too. :)
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on May 23, 2009May 23rd, 2009, 7:36 am EDT
personally, the thing i look for first is a local fly shop. if it's unfamiliar waters, they'll have a half dozen of what's working, and if it's home waters, the gossip will tell me all i need to know.

and if there's no local fly shop, i say a prayer for the dear departed and tie on a wulff with a pheasant tail dropper while i wait for a passing fly or fly angler to suggest something else!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on May 23, 2009May 23rd, 2009, 2:52 pm EDT
Assuming I'm on a stream I know little about and there is no apparent insect activity, I almost always start w/ a tandem nymph rig 1 heavy attractor(green weenie or whatever) and a simple caddis larva usually tan or olive sz 16.
Deligon
Deligon on May 25, 2009May 25th, 2009, 9:17 am EDT
deligon
rock spring ga.

Midges they are everywhere! one of the streams I fish is the Elk
in Tenn. the Elk has no dominate hatch as far as I know.
I asked a fellow fly fisher who I had observed having a lot more success than I and so began my love affair with midges.
Sometimes off a dry droper and also tandem behind a soft hackle.

Fish is always good,
catching is some times better.

deligon

Quick Reply