Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Dillo
Colorado

Dillo on Feb 12, 2015February 12th, 2015, 3:55 pm EST
I am going to start fly fishing, and I am confused by all of the different flies, colors, sizes, etc. what are some good basic flies that will catch fish for most of the year?
Catskilljon
Upstate NY

Catskilljon on Feb 12, 2015February 12th, 2015, 5:14 pm EST
You may want to read through this...a compilation of suggestions from members here combining thousands of hours of on stream experience of flies that worked.

http://www.troutnut.com/topic/6510/5-must-have-flies

CJ
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Feb 15, 2015February 15th, 2015, 12:26 pm EST
Woolly Buggers! Easy to tie, can be made in any color of the rainbow (or combination), and they catch all species of fish, including trout. Do a search on this site for "woolly buggers" and you should find some patterns and suggestions, including a few of my own.

Best of luck and tight lines!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 15, 2015February 15th, 2015, 12:45 pm EST
Also Green Weenies, Sucker Spawn, Walt's Worm, and Hare's Ear are just a few that gives a new tier a chance to get acquainted with the vise, bobbin, handling material and a few techniques.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 16, 2015February 16th, 2015, 10:53 am EST
CJ's suggested thread is a very useful place to look if you are looking for flies to fish. Just click on the 5 must have flies link.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 16, 2015February 16th, 2015, 11:04 am EST
Dillo,

Are you going to be fishing for mostly trout? In moving water or in lakes. The link that CatskillJohn sent to you has the list of what many members here think are the most useful flies to use anywhere.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jbehrendt
Jbehrendt's profile picture
Eagle River, AK

Jbehrendt on May 15, 2015May 15th, 2015, 8:53 am EDT
Couldn't agree more. There is nothing out there fly-wise that has caught as many fish as a woolly bugger.
Fish when you can, work when you have to.
BoulderWork
BoulderWork on May 16, 2015May 16th, 2015, 4:25 am EDT
Dillo,

Good early morning.

Asking questions on this particular site is a very good start. The participants on this website are excellent contacts with a robust background and experiences in entomology, fly tying and fly fishing.

I have a couple of suggestions to accelerate your learning curve:

(1) Read all facets of this site. Keep asking questions.

(2) Attend regarded fly fishing symposiums and regarded fly fishing shops near your residence. Be curious and ask questions.

(3) Study the food sources in your local creeks, streams, rivers, ponds and lakes near your home. Compare this on-going study to how your imitations mimic and whether they are successful.

(4) Purchase or study books that complement your on-going pursuit. I have a small library than spans over 40 years that is invaluable.

(5) Fish with an experienced fly fisherman.

(6) Enjoy the path of this pursuit. It has many facets, like a diamond.

Sincerely,

BW
Bnorikane
Bnorikane's profile picture
Colorado

Bnorikane on May 16, 2015May 16th, 2015, 4:57 am EDT
I am going to start fly fishing, and I am confused by all of the different flies, colors, sizes, etc. what are some good basic flies that will catch fish for most of the year?

Dillo, you live in a state blessed with many great flyshops. They are filled with knowledgeable and passionate fly fishers who know the local area. Just yesterday, I saw several beginners buying licenses in a local shop. The store helped them with suggestions for basic flies that were working right now and where to use them.

Most flyshops have beginning fly fishing classes, some are free. All of them have guides who can really help beginners.

Quick Reply