Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Billy
Chester County, PA

Billy on Jul 13, 2007July 13th, 2007, 5:39 am EDT
I live in Chester County, PA and would like to fish the Pohopoco Creek 7/21, 7/22. The local water is too warm and skinny for trout fly fishing and I heard that the Pohopoco stays a lot cooler. I also heard that it may be hard to find public access there. Any suggestions for an area to fish and how to get there off the PA Turnpike? Thanks in advance - Billy
I was born with nothing and still have most of it. . .
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 13, 2007July 13th, 2007, 11:42 am EDT
Billy, I don't know, and Gonzo is out of town. If he gets back in time, I'll bet he'll give you some help. Otherwise, call Lehigh Gap Outfitters (they have a website http://www.wildernesstrekker.com/lehigh_river.htm; also try the new one--there's a link on the site above). They should be able to help you.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 15, 2007July 15th, 2007, 6:06 am EDT
Billy,

The Pohopoco below the Beltzville Res. is a short tailwater that is often cooler than surrounding streams at this time of year. (This, of course, depends upon releases from the reservoir. The USGS has a gauge that you can check.) In addition to stocked trout, there is a small population of wild browns in this stretch. Good holding water is at a premium, however, and not all landowners allow access. You can get to the stream from the Lehighton exit of the NE Extension off of either 209 or Pohopoco Drive. The Tulpehocken near Reading and the Little Lehigh in Allentown are also good alternatives for summer fishing near your area.

Best,
Lloyd
Billy
Chester County, PA

Billy on Jul 16, 2007July 16th, 2007, 8:00 am EDT
Over the weekend I spoke with a friend who happened to spend a couple of days on the Pohopoco last week. He said that he and his son had to work unusually hard finding trout activity in the tailwaters. He suggested other streams at this point as well. I may take Gonzo's suggestion and travel a shorter distance to the Tully. Thank you for the responses. - Billy
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jul 16, 2007July 16th, 2007, 11:56 am EDT
Billy,
If you head to the Little Lehigh avoid the Heritage Water. It is absolutely lousy with fish has good trico activity and is an absolute zoo. There is plenty of good water both above and below the regs that sees much less pressure.

Also be wary of the jogging set! Some of those young ladies are very distracting and you can end up burrying a trico in your ear pretty easily.

JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 17, 2007July 17th, 2007, 3:04 am EDT
Amen on the last point. Another civilizing influence that one doesn't find on FSB. :)
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Billy
Chester County, PA

Billy on Jul 23, 2007July 23rd, 2007, 9:16 am EDT
JW - Thank you for the tips on the Little Lehigh. Sounds like a nice place to visit. - Billy
AFISHN
West Chester,PA

AFISHN on Jul 15, 2015July 15th, 2015, 12:23 pm EDT
5 years later,Billy.If you ever want to fish the Poho get in touch with me.i fish up there a lot and I live in Chester County
Tom
"..when i'm not AFISHN,I'm a huntin'... "

Quick Reply