Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Mikesybert
Pittsburgh

Mikesybert on Aug 28, 2007August 28th, 2007, 7:19 am EDT
The answer to the question about fishing long flies with one hook is simply YES! I was just in Colorado and had the most success I have ever had on a streamer using a mini-sculpin with a single trailing hook. I actually can't find them anywhere so I called the local fly shop in Steamboat Springs (believe it is called Steamboat Flyfisher) and had them send me some. It basically has a long olive tail with some meshing under it that holds the hook in the back. Nothing on the body at all. Since a lot of trout short strike this works extremely well and hooks them all very nicely with little trouble in the release. Probably not too hard to tie them either...I have heard them called "stinger rigs" for saltwater although I think they also have a hook on the body that way. I suppose just cutting the front one would work too.
Mike

Quick Reply