Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Johnvan61
Johnvan61's profile picture
southeast

Johnvan61 on Jun 29, 2014June 29th, 2014, 11:21 am EDT
Hello---decided it was time to do some maintenance on my Crown reel. I no longer have the instructions and need some advice. Where do I add lube or grease, what type is best? I also noticed only one pawl. Is this in position for right hand retreive and if you wanted to switch hands you just move the pawl to the other side. I never noticed this till now. It actually looks pretty clean as is, only 5 or so years old. Thanks.---John
< />
"my mind is like oatmeal"
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 29, 2014June 29th, 2014, 8:24 pm EDT
John, I don't have a clue, but I'll bet if nobody here has any ideas, Google will provide some good information.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 30, 2014June 30th, 2014, 3:41 pm EDT
I agree...Doesn't look too bad. I like to use Hardy Lube...I know it probably could be found somewhere cheaper in some other form, but I'm happy with it.

I like to scrub the inside with a little soap and a tooth brush. Then lube the center spindle there and maybe a little up there around the gear. You don't need much just enough to give it a thin coating. No need to lube anything else.

Like Louis said above, I have just about found everything listed on google. Just type in your reel manufacturer and Model etc and I bet it shows up.

Just from looking at it I agree that to switch it around you would flop everything to the other side...I just don't know if its right or left as is and it never hurts to be sure.

Spence

I just had to clean one of my Hardy's. When JohnW was visiting at the beginning of June from PA we were fishing one evening on the North Branch of the Au Sable near Lovell's MI. I caught a nice fish and I landed him in some shallows behind an old deflector probably installed in the CCC days. I laid the rod down to release the fish and when I picked it up I found it had been sitting in the water in a sand/silt trap behind the deflector and it was crammed with black silt! It was so bad it had penetrated my backing. Ouch!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Johnvan61
Johnvan61's profile picture
southeast

Johnvan61 on Jun 30, 2014June 30th, 2014, 5:02 pm EDT
Thanks, but I have spent hours Googling and no luck at all finding a schematic on the Crown 75 fly reel. I think I give up.---John
"my mind is like oatmeal"
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 1, 2014July 1st, 2014, 7:36 am EDT
John, Spence's suggestions seem on target. If you can't find your exact reel via Google, you can find reels with similar mechanics and lots of suggestions for cleaning and lubricating them.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 1, 2014July 1st, 2014, 6:09 pm EDT
John, first of all welcome! Second, do you happen to have a fly shop anywhere near you? Sometimes you can find a place that will help you without much if any charge. Third, if it sounds good (no grinding or binding) and spins nicely it shouldn't need much other than perhaps a dab of reel lube on the spindle, of whatever brand - Spence knows what he's talking about because he likes to fight almost all of his fish "on the reel"... ;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Groesi
Sequim, WA

Groesi on Aug 1, 2014August 1st, 2014, 9:48 pm EDT
To Johnvan61,

I just purchased this reel (NOS), and it came with the pamphlet that goes with it. It's fitted for right hand wind as shown in your image on the left. To switch to left hand wind, remove the pawl, flip it over, and attach to the opposite side posts. The pawl is very flexible and comes out and goes back in easily. It's also set to be silent the way it's shown in the image. If you push in the connector on the lower fatter post, it will be in click mode.

It also states to "unclip" the drag gear, flip over, and reclip to set the drag for left hand wind. I'm still trying to figure out how to unclip it.

I hope this helps. I registered so I could address your question, but am glad to find another fly fishing forum.

My best to everyone else.

Quick Reply