Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Feb 25, 2014February 25th, 2014, 8:42 am EST
I put the dries on hold for a bit while I beef up my streamer box and musky flies. This is the newest fly for some toothy critters. It's nothing special design wise, but should fish alright.

Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Feb 25, 2014February 25th, 2014, 11:30 am EST
Looks good.

How long is that fly? Any weight to it? What hook is this tied on?

One thing I started to use recently with my bigger flies is Gel Spun Thread. Holy sh*t what a difference! You can really crank on it and secure just about anything to the hook shank.
Kschaefer3
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Feb 25, 2014February 25th, 2014, 12:17 pm EST
Thanks!

Not sure the exact length. I just looked at a pic I have with this fly in my hand. Probably 10-12" including the feathers. No weight to it, I only fish intermediate and sinking lines for musky, so most my flies don't have any weight. This is tied on a VMC 4/0 Trailer hook. They are much cheaper than most big fly tying hooks. I think the next one I tie will be on a Daiichi 6/0 so I have room for a spun hair head too.

I really tied this fly because someone was asking me questions on how to reverse tie hair. I took some step by step pictures to show them. I think it's easier to see and understand than hear and understand when it comes to tying.

I have never used gel spun actually. I probably should for spinning hair heads on trout flies. I can manage with my 140, but it's more difficult than it needs to be sometimes. On musky flies the only thread I have used in 210 flymasters plus. I feel like I could hang from my bobbin and not break it. That is obviously not true, but that stuff is strong! I'll have to take a look at the gel spun though. Have you ever had issue with the gsp slipping?
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Feb 25, 2014February 25th, 2014, 3:29 pm EST
The GSP will slip. However, I find that when it starts to slip, it is the threads way of telling me I am using too many wraps. So, I just back off a few and boom - no slips. I even used it to repair a guide foot that slipped out of the epoxy on one of my rods.

I was right there with you on the 210 - loved it and thought nothing was stronger until the GSP. I haven't ordered some in a while, but I don't remember it being expensive.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Feb 25, 2014February 25th, 2014, 4:22 pm EST
Wow Kyle, that's a beautiful fly you tied there. Is that Spey hackle or bucktail you have wrapped so nicely around the hook?

Dreaming of spring there, I see... ;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Feb 26, 2014February 26th, 2014, 3:21 am EST
This is tied on a VMC 4/0 Trailer hook. They are much cheaper than most big fly tying hooks. I think the next one I tie will be on a Daiichi 6/0 so I have room for a spun hair head too.

Kyle, have you ever used the Gamakatsu SP11-3L3H? Its a nice hook for big flies.

Kschaefer3
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Feb 26, 2014February 26th, 2014, 5:20 am EST
Al514 - I'll check out some GSP. What weight do you use? I know it's way stronger, so you can get away with thinner thread.

Jonathon - Thank you. Pretty much the whole fly is reverse tied bucktail. The red on the front is just a couple turns of red marabou to give it better motion on the pause. Even though musky fishing can be great in the spring, I tend to not leave the trout stream until it gets really warm in July.

Eric - I have not used those. I will check the local shop and see if they have them next time I'm there. I do love Gamakatsu hooks!
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Feb 26, 2014February 26th, 2014, 5:55 am EST

Eric - I have not used those. I will check the local shop and see if they have them next time I'm there. I do love Gamakatsu hooks!

http://www.saltwaterflies.com/ is a good place to get them. good one stop shop for synthetics too if you are looking for them. Chris Windram is a super nice guy and had built a good business over the years. I tie all my saltwater stuff with monofilament thread. I like the way the color of the materials shows through the thread wraps.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Feb 26, 2014February 26th, 2014, 1:19 pm EST
Very nice! That should pull a good wake.

Quick Reply