Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

JOHNW has attached these 3 pictures to this report. The message is below.

Report at a Glance

General Regionpennsylvania
Specific Locationa public limestoner that sees a ton of pressure
Dates FishedNovember 15
Time of Dayall day
Fish Caughtwild brown trout
Conditions & HatchesClear and low water. Air temps 28-52. Some spawners around but few redds to be seen yet.

Details and Discussion

JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Nov 15, 2013November 15th, 2013, 2:53 pm EST
My reward for working the last 11 days was two hours of windshield time to one of my favorite cold weather stream sections. The fishing was outstanding as the browns were colored up and they were fairly aggressive to my offerings. However the highlight of the day was flushing a covey of ring neck pheasant from some streamside cover.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 15, 2013November 15th, 2013, 3:20 pm EST
Nice John! Beautifully colored fish you have there. It's such a pleasure to get out and fly fish this late in the season when the weather is cooperating. Well done!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 17, 2013November 17th, 2013, 5:02 am EST
Pretty fish, John! SC?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Nov 17, 2013November 17th, 2013, 3:23 pm EST
Nice!
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Nov 18, 2013November 18th, 2013, 4:56 am EST
Beauties, John.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 18, 2013November 18th, 2013, 1:03 pm EST
Gorgeous colors! Good job.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Nov 18, 2013November 18th, 2013, 4:49 pm EST
Louis let's just say I got out of Dodge before folks started pounding Boilermakers for the weekend. ;)
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Nov 18, 2013November 18th, 2013, 5:02 pm EST
Louis let's just say I got out of Dodge before folks started pounding Boilermakers for the weekend. ;)

John...You better be more cryptic! I think I've figured this out with my PA decoder ring...Eric gave it to me last April when I was nosing around the keystone state.

I'm just happy you got a chance to wet a line young man...I know you have been working your, "you know what", off!

Nice to see.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Nov 19, 2013November 19th, 2013, 8:05 am EST
Specific Location a public limestoner that sees a ton of pressure

There's one that doesn't?
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Nov 19, 2013November 19th, 2013, 2:44 pm EST
Eric,
That is a paraphrase from a PA fly fishing ledgend who has a series of "how to videos"

I believe the actually quote was "this is a lovely stream that is open to the public but sees more than it's fair share of angling pressure"

I actually fished the stretch that the video segment was filmed on. The most important lesson I got from that video was neither the tuck cast nor the leader construction or rigging info covered but the fact that the fish in this stream like to lay in places that don't always seem "trouty" (read the skinny stuff close to the banks).
Again Spence will have to pull out the Decoder ring for that one but he fished this stream a mile or so below where I was.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Nov 19, 2013November 19th, 2013, 3:19 pm EST

Again Spence will have to pull out the Decoder ring for that one but he fished this stream a mile or so below where I was.

:)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 19, 2013November 19th, 2013, 7:29 pm EST
Dries?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Nov 21, 2013November 21st, 2013, 2:43 am EST
Awesome looking fish. Love the spots on the lower brown - big, dark, and scattered. That middle brown has some huge fins - makes you understand / appreciate how these fish can ambush prey so well.

Quick Reply