Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

JohnNY has attached these 8 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
This last photo is the intermittent stream where these (what are they?) bugs live, breed and die.
I JUST saw that I was PM'd last JUNE asking for this photo... Sorry...
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Dec 25, 2013December 25th, 2013, 1:16 am EST
Thanks for bringing this back up, guys. Could this be a species of Leucrocuta? If so, Yellow Quills - not Lt. Cahills, Bruce.;) The wing maculation and pronotum/head look wrong for Stenacron, Mack. What really bothers me though is the giant spread between the eyes (width of compound eye). That is usually diagnostic for Yellow Quills when separating them out from most heptageniids.

John -
Sorry for all the unnecessary confusion caused in no small part by my speculation earlier on in the thread. I was on the road at the time and should have left it alone, but I just wasn't comfortable with the Cahill idea then and only slightly more now.

Merry Christmas, everybody!
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Dec 27, 2013December 27th, 2013, 11:33 pm EST
Thanks, Mack. Same to you.

Yes, I had forgotten the eye exception with carolina. I seem to remember discussing the eyes of these guys before in another thread(s)... Deja Vu! :) Still, many of the specimens in this topic don't look to have the right maculation. In addition, Yellow Quills can also have thickened cross veins in the radial spaces. Doesn't mean I think you are wrong as I agree their size and overall conformation is a good match for the Cahills.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Dec 30, 2013December 30th, 2013, 1:16 pm EST
...remember you are free to grab any photos I have posted of any mayflies and add them into the encyclopedia I look forward to seeing any of my pictures in the library.

Thanks for the offer, Mack. The problem is links aren't usable. I have to have the file on my hard drive to upload and I'm backlogged trying to get mine up let alone anybody else's right now. Perhaps in the future we can go over them so you can email some to me.
JohnNY
JohnNY on Feb 7, 2014February 7th, 2014, 6:20 am EST
I see you guys got back into this one...SO, what is it? :)
I also see that I was PM'd in JUNE asking for a photo of the stream...
I added it. The location is Unadilla, NY.
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 7, 2014February 7th, 2014, 7:17 am EST
Most likely Stenacron Carolina (Summer Cahill), John.
JohnNY
JohnNY on Feb 12, 2014February 12th, 2014, 3:26 am EST
Man that's the size creeks I fish a lot !!!...I agree with Kurt On Stenacron carolina
You'd be up for a day of disappointment if you thought you'd be catching fish here... The bugs in this usually temporary stream only have to contend with the threat from the birds and salamanders. Now if by fishing you mean CRAYfishing... You'd catch your limit...
JohnNY
JohnNY on Sep 19, 2014September 19th, 2014, 2:00 pm EDT
I'm demanding that we reopen this case file.

:)
JohnNY
JohnNY on Sep 21, 2014September 21st, 2014, 11:07 am EDT
Can anyone enlighten me as to what the preferred habitats are for both Maccaffertium pudicum and Stenacron Carolina?

Thanks.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Sep 21, 2014September 21st, 2014, 11:35 am EDT
Hi John-

As both are clinger nymphs, I would expect them to be found clinging to the under side of large rock surfaces in moderate to swift current.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
JohnNY
JohnNY on Sep 22, 2014September 22nd, 2014, 3:51 am EDT
Thanks, Taxon.
So if one of these critters finds an intermittent stream(inches of flow some parts of the year and NO surface flow other parts of the year)to its liking then the other would probably find it to its liking also?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Sep 22, 2014September 22nd, 2014, 5:42 am EDT
John-

Perhaps so.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply