Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Mar 27, 2013March 27th, 2013, 5:31 pm EDT
Well the Hendricksons have started here. there were enough today to get the fish eating. I collected some and brought them home. here is a male.

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 27, 2013March 27th, 2013, 8:08 pm EDT
Well the Hendricksons have started here. there were enough today to get the fish eating. I collected some and brought them home.

...to eat yourself I suppose? :) Maybe as pets...

By-the-way, mister...Your Habs won in OT...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 27, 2013March 27th, 2013, 11:48 pm EDT
NICE photo!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on Mar 28, 2013March 28th, 2013, 3:58 am EDT
makes it easier to think spring while I'm looking out the window at our snow covered ground.................
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Mar 28, 2013March 28th, 2013, 4:32 am EDT
Well the Hendricksons have started here. there were enough today to get the fish eating. I collected some and brought them home.

...to eat yourself I suppose? :) Maybe as pets...

By-the-way, mister...Your Habs won in OT...:)

Spence

Yes they did! and so what if I snack on a red quill every now and then. I want to know what they taste like, I flavor my dubbings...
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Mar 28, 2013March 28th, 2013, 4:34 am EDT
NICE photo!

Thanks Jason. I lucked out, no planning there, just put the little bugger on a shiny black piece of plastic which had a black computer screen behind it and snapped away...
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 28, 2013March 28th, 2013, 5:33 pm EDT
Yes they did! and so what if I snack on a red quill every now and then. I want to know what they taste like, I flavor my dubbings...

That is funny! :) I hope it never comes to that...I'm nit-picky enough with my dubbing mixes...Flavoring is going to put me over the top.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Mar 30, 2013March 30th, 2013, 5:45 am EDT
...I want to know what they taste like, I flavor my dubbings...

They taste like chicken
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness

Quick Reply