Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/commoncontent.fnc on line 837

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/commoncontent.fnc on line 838

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/commoncontent.fnc on line 839

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/urls.fnc on line 81

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/urls.fnc on line 82

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/urls.fnc on line 83

By Troutnut on May 18th, 2011
I went burbot fishing last night, checking out a spot I had unsuccessfully fished with my setlines. The problem with those was that my lines got caught on the rock riprap at the end of the dike, so I thought with rod & reel I might have a chance to get out past the rocks. Unfortunately, the current of the eddy kept pulling the bait back into the rocks, so I went through about $5 in tackle and bait before I even found a position where my bait would hold still and I could actually fish.

Then I didn't catch anything.

Oh, well... it was a great sunset!

Photos by Troutnut from the Tanana River in Alaska

The Tanana River in Alaska
Cut herring bait dangles from the tip of a spinning rod... not my usual gear!

From the Tanana River in Alaska

Comments / replies

JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on May 20, 2011May 20th, 2011, 5:50 pm EDT
Jason,
I'm curious about the burbot are they strictly sport or is there a food value to them? They sort of remind me of Bowfin down here in the Lower 48 very prehistoric looking indeed.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 21, 2011May 21st, 2011, 12:41 am EDT
Almost all food, very little sport -- at least in the setline fishing I'm doing. Catching them with a rod & reel can be very sporting, but I'm finding that setlining has plenty of its own little challenges.

They're not very closely related to bowfin, despite their superficial similarities. They're actually the only North American species of freshwater cod. They taste much better than store-bought cod, though, and even better than fresh-caught Pacific cod from Alaska for that matter.

They're filleted in sort of an interesting way, and the different cuts have different textures. There's one normal fillet on each side, which is comparable in both taste and texture to walleye. There's also a belly fillet, which has a similar flavor but a slightly more rubbery texture, more comparable to lobster or really tender calamari.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply