Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lyrae has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Lyrae
French Creek, PA

Lyrae on May 13, 2007May 13th, 2007, 3:12 pm EDT
I saw this on my deck this evening. Anyone have any ideas? I only know enough to catch a few fish :)

Thanks.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on May 13, 2007May 13th, 2007, 3:48 pm EDT
Lyrae,

Cool mayfly! I can't make out some of the details, but from the overall appearance it looks like a female Siphlonurus spinner to me.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 13, 2007May 13th, 2007, 4:03 pm EDT
That was my impression as well, also a female spinner. I'm thinking Siphlonurus alternatus. Don't see any Siphlonurus species listed for PA in my most trusted (national) source. However it's most likely incomplete in that regard.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on May 13, 2007May 13th, 2007, 4:19 pm EDT
Roger,

I can confirm that we do have Siphlonurus in PA. I've seen and even fished them on a few streams. Greg Hoover's 2002 survey of PA mayflies lists barbaroides, mirus, quebecensis, rapidus, and typicus as PA species.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 13, 2007May 13th, 2007, 4:35 pm EDT
Gonzo-

Well, we seem to be in violent agreement on genus. And after all, identification to species based on a photograph of a female imago is problematic, at best. However, as Konchu has observed, it is fun.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on May 13, 2007May 13th, 2007, 4:54 pm EDT
Agreed, Roger, it is fun to guess. I was tempted to guess quebecensis, but the only species I can reasonably rule out is mirus.

Quick Reply