Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

Fish CaughtCutthroat & Brook

Details and Discussion

BigTrout
BigTrout's profile picture
BigTrout on May 30, 2012May 30th, 2012, 7:34 pm EDT
Had a great time this past Memorial Day weekend with my little nephew. I took him to a small stream around that held fish. My nephew who is 6 years old had the time of his life and was full of questions as we caught a few fish! I caught these guys on a little dry may fly! It was way fun and planning on getting back to the area soon!

Brook Trout

Cutts

The great charm about fly fishing is that we are always learning; no matter how long we have been at it, we are constantly making some new wrinkle. - Theodore Gordon
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on May 31, 2012May 31st, 2012, 4:57 am EDT
Those cutts sure are neat. Thanks.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 31, 2012May 31st, 2012, 6:33 pm EDT
Very pretty fish! I'm sure your nephew thinks so too.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 1, 2012June 1st, 2012, 8:18 am EDT
Big Trout,

I love this quote you found!

The great charm about fly fishing is that we are always learning; no matter how long we have been at it, we are constantly making some new wrinkle. - Theodore Gordon

It's wonderful to see you taking the time to let the nephew tag a long...You never know the effect you can have on a youngster...My grandfather is responsible for my obsession with the woods and though he's been gone since Christmas of 1992 I thank him nearly every time I'm out there.

I finally got around to mourning his passing one late afternoon in 1995 when I was the only angler on DePuy's Spring Creek...I couldn't believe where I was sitting and that I had never taken him out there. The shadows were getting long and the Absaroka's just to the east were glowing from the setting sun...I wouldn't of been sitting there if it weren't for some old man taking the time to just spend some time with me.

I too have taken some nephews up north with me and we have had some great moments. My nephew and I had stopped for a streamside snack and a dragonfly nymph crawled out on the log between us and proceeded to emerge...He watched the whole thing with his jaw a gape...I told him to explain what he saw to his science teacher and ask for some extra credit. :)

We were staying in a cabin and one evening came home to a snapper laying her eggs in a hole she had dug in the middle of the drive, of all places. I grabbed a Mag light and we watched as her eggs fell in to the hole...There's no "app" for something like this! :)

Good stuff! He looks hooked.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 1, 2012June 1st, 2012, 3:33 pm EDT
"There's no "app" for something like this!"

You got that one right, Spence. I wish all kids could understand that!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply