Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached this picture to this report. The message is below.
The surroundings have been altered to protect the innocent.

Report at a Glance

General RegionNYS Western Catskills
Specific LocationWest Branch & main stem Delaware
Dates FishedMay 17 - 21
Time of Day10 - 5 & 6 - 9
Fish CaughtBrown Trout
Conditions & HatchesMarch Browns, Ep invaria, Ep dorothea, Ep subvaria spinners, spattering of Green Drakes and spinner of GD

Details and Discussion

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 23, 2012May 23rd, 2012, 1:41 pm EDT
Quite good, but not great fishing Thursday and Friday. Poor fishing all day Saturday due to high sun, 80 degree air, no insects. Sunday very windy from 10 - 8. Virtually unfishable. Three in the boat taking turns on one rising fish. They thought it was taking a dun but I saw a tail so I put on a piece of 6X 4" long and on it put a #20 Flashback BH PT. It ate the fly on the first drift. Lots of good talk, dark rum, coke, and lime. I was sleepy and gave up at 7:00 although we stayed on the river until total darkness.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 23, 2012May 23rd, 2012, 4:41 pm EDT
Another nice brown there, Matt. Sounds like a good fishing trip except for the frustrating weather.

"The surroundings have been altered to protect..." YOUR fishing spot. And I don't blame you one little bit. We are about to experience the onslaught of terrorists - er, I mean TOURISTS - this coming weekend up here in Au Sable country. Time to go find those out-of-the way spots (i.e, little creeks full of brookies)...or check the smallies on Cooke Pond - got some real nice ones there last year on standard dries (white Elkhair caddis, White Wulff, I thnk both were size #12).

Thanks for telling us about your trip!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 23, 2012May 23rd, 2012, 5:33 pm EDT
Another pretty fish. You do target the black spotted ones.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 23, 2012May 23rd, 2012, 5:48 pm EDT
Louis, maybe he just photographs the black-spotted ones. Or, he has some kind of special material in those glasses of his that allow him to detect the spots at casting distance...didn't he say something about working in materials science??

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 23, 2012May 23rd, 2012, 6:18 pm EDT
"...didn't he say something about working in materials science??"

During my working life I held a Secret clearance for over twenty years. Most of it was directly related to ordnance projects to keep the USA on the cutting edge of weapons. However there just might have been those special polyzirconite nano crystal lens that we were able to de-classify and fashion into special glasses that give me that edge to locate those black spotted browns.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 23, 2012May 23rd, 2012, 6:42 pm EDT
I knew it!!! No wonder he always catches such nice (and black-spotted) freaking fish!!!

Although, it begs the question of why haven't you patented it and made billions of dollars? Or is that just a minor detail of your personal life that you keep hidden from us? "Matt's Super Spotter Fishing Glasses"...

Jonathon
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 23, 2012May 23rd, 2012, 7:23 pm EDT
"why haven't you patented it and made billions of dollars?"

More money won't make me any happier but having those secret glasses, and the ability to catch those, harder to catch, black spotted browns is worth not making those big bucks.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 23, 2012May 23rd, 2012, 8:30 pm EDT
I had a feeling that was going to be your answer...or is it just that good old fisherman thing, "I have a secret weapon and I ain't gonna tell NOBODY!!!"

Jonathon
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on May 24, 2012May 24th, 2012, 9:41 pm EDT
The fish in that river are magnificent!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on May 26, 2012May 26th, 2012, 9:49 am EDT
Don't let him fool ya boys. The blurry background is from the Dark Rum, Coke, and Limes that he reported consuming.

Besides anyone can clearly tell that it is the Big Two Faced just above the junction with the Little Broken Heart exactly two miles below Busted Hull Shoal.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 26, 2012May 26th, 2012, 3:06 pm EDT
Darnit, that guy JW sure knows where my secret spots are!

Quick Reply