Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on May 21, 2012May 21st, 2012, 11:02 am EDT
I collected a really cool mayfly nymph last night that I would have loved to have photographed. Alas, I had no camera and fumbled it into the stream while trying to find something to keep it in. It was black on its dorsal side except for a bright green stripe going from head to tail right down its back. It had bright green mottling on its legs and tail. I've never seen such a dramatic, colorful nymph in my life. Any ideas? I'll certainly post pics if I find another one like it.

Coincidentally, it was my first time out with my 9-year-old son on a decent sized stream. He was really excited, but we couldn't manage a fish for 2 hours in spite of obvious bug and fish activity. He showed great patience, thought, and he was rewarded when we hooked into and landed 4 nice browns just before leaving. He didn't hook any by himself because the water in that spot was too tough for him to wade, but it was fun to see him fighting a good fish in moving water. He did it like a champ, landing 4 out of 5. He also accomplished a pretty impressive feat when a 12-incher flipped out of his hands before he was ready to release it. He saw where it lay, slowly reached into the water, and barehanded the thing. After flashing me a big smile, he put it back into the water on his own terms.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on May 21, 2012May 21st, 2012, 11:33 am EDT
Great story with your son, Shawn. Thanks for sharing. Such memories are the only things of lasting value.

As to the bug, there are a few ephemerellids (spiny crawlers), stoneflies, and isonychids (brush-legged swimmers) that are striped. Can you share anything regarding size and general confirmation of the critter? Stoneflies have double wincases, and generally slender abdomens always w/out gills and wiggle side to side. Ephemerellids are usually stockier with pronounced (thicker) thoraxes and single wingcases and wiggle up and down. The isonychiids will look torpedo or cigar shaped looking down at them and have short, fuzzy, banded (usually) tails and less substantial legs. They also wiggle up and down and swim very fast.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 21, 2012May 21st, 2012, 5:28 pm EDT
Great story Shawn! Way to encourage catch and release. Wait until he hooks one all by himself, his smile will REALLY be big.

Sounds like an intriguing nymph. Lesson learned: ALWAYS bring your camera!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on May 21, 2012May 21st, 2012, 7:18 pm EDT
Funny you should say that, Jonathon, because my son begged me to bring his camera, and I told him not to because I was sure he'd soak it. As it was, he dropped his watch and flashlight in the water in two separate incidents (both recovered). We'll never know who was right about bringing it, but at least it is not right now destroyed.

I apologize for only being able to give a novice's description of the fly. It was clearly a mayfly. Of the photos on this site, its proportions looked most to me like an invaria nymph. The stream has pronounced sulfur, baetis, and trico hatches, but not much else in the way of mayflies. It was about a size 14. I have a mind to go back there and do some more substantial seining. Where there's one, there are probably more. If I find another, I'll definitely share some pics.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 21, 2012May 21st, 2012, 7:20 pm EDT
Good work, Shawn. I'm sure he will never forget that day! Send my congratulations along.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on May 21, 2012May 21st, 2012, 7:59 pm EDT
Shawn -

Sounds like you are describing Ephemerella needhami (Little Dark Hendrickson), though they are usually a little smaller than a 14.

Notice the nymph at 12 o'clock in the photo. The picture doesn't show it well, but it was described as having a fairly bright olive green stripe running down the middle... Could that be it?

"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on May 22, 2012May 22nd, 2012, 2:58 am EDT
I'm very impressed, Kurt. I didn't even have to tell you how many flanges it had on its fourth distal wingpad, and I think you may have nailed it. The proportions, shape, and striping on the nymph in the photo are spot-on. Very cool.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on May 22, 2012May 22nd, 2012, 12:05 pm EDT
I didn't even have to tell you how many flanges it had on its fourth distal wingpad...

Well, that level of detail does often make it easier for me... To be totally wrong! :)LOL

Quick Reply