Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Apr 15, 2012April 15th, 2012, 9:42 pm EDT
Are there any flies for Irish Lords, flounder or any other fish that you could catch off the shore of Kachemack Bay (Homer, AK) or a similar type of Bay? (Think deep water right of shore, old piers...).

Thanks in advance to you who will attempt to help me,

Sam
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Apr 17, 2012April 17th, 2012, 3:25 pm EDT
Sounds like a new avenue to explore, Sam. Wished I could help...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GldstrmSam
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Apr 17, 2012April 17th, 2012, 4:38 pm EDT
I actually did some research yesterday on fly fishing for those fish.

I only found info for flounder, and I only saw one good article at that. Here it is: http://www.gulffishing.com/flyingflounder052.html.

Sam
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 17, 2012April 17th, 2012, 7:33 pm EDT
I bet you could catch some pollock with streamers on a sinking line at that spot where lots of people fish off the tip of the spit. It generally helps to cast out really far, though, so I don't know how you'd do. I just fished there with a spinning rod and live bait, and caught lots of pollock and yellowfin sole, and one sculpin.

Fly fishing is really more of a freshwater thing in Alaska. It can be done in the salt (especially for salmon) but you have to really want it to go after bottomfish on the fly here.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GldstrmSam
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Apr 17, 2012April 17th, 2012, 9:19 pm EDT
Thanks Jason!

I was just throwing this idea out there for curiosity's sake because I might be going down there this summer.

What size do most of those fish you mentioned run. In other words if I did happen to try it, would a 4/5 weight rod be fine?
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 18, 2012April 18th, 2012, 2:33 pm EDT
Most of those fish are 1-3 pounds, so they'd be great fun on a 5-weight. The main challenge will be casting distance. If you go down there, I really recommend bringing some spin-fishing gear with moderately heavy sinkers, so you can cast really far and get down to the bottom quickly. Fly fishing really isn't the best approach to that spot, but if you want to try it for the challenge, go for it!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GldstrmSam
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Apr 18, 2012April 18th, 2012, 3:51 pm EDT
Thanks Jason!

I definitely will take spinning gear down with me, but since I'll have my fly rod with me I might do some of that for variety.

Quick Reply